"in my head, you're the one who proposes"

chapter thirty-seven: in my head, you're the one who proposes

the eye contact ... 🦋 <3

SATURDAY MORNING, (cont'd). "There's about three more boxes in my car," I told my dad and Luke in passing as I carried one of the last boxes up the steps and into the house. We had placed every box in the room to the left of the entrance—what I planned to have as the dining room. As I sat the box down among the others, I noticed my mom standing to the side and looking down at her phone. "What's up?" 

"Your aunt just texted me—something about Holden," she replied, somewhat distractedly. Holden was my cousin—his mom was my mom's sister. He was the same age as me and had caused only trouble since we turned seventeen.

"What has he done now?" I asked through a sigh.

"Surprisingly—something good," Mom said through a laugh. "He's just landed a pretty spectacular internship at a big-time law firm for his spring semester."

"Holden?" I asked, making sure we were talking about the same person. Last I heard, he was failing most of his classes and was a decision away from dropping out.

"Yes," she said, now seeming annoyed with me. "You remember when we arranged for your dad to talk some sense into him—last spring?"

"Can't say I do."

"Well—we did. I've never had any idea of what your dad said, but he completely changed his attitude and his grades were practically spotless last semester."

"You sure he's not cheating?" I asked with a suspicious look on my face. My mom sent me a glare and I raised my hands in surrender. Seconds later, my dad and Luke walked into the house, both laughing loudly. I looked over my shoulder to see them both red in the face and with big grins on their faces—the sight genuinely gave me butterflies just because it was so relieving to see them having such a good time.

Of course, I had no clue what they were laughing at, but it didn't matter.

"That's the last of it," Luke managed to speak without laughing, even though he began to giggle once he set the boxes down.

"What are you two so giggly about?" My mom asked, sounding suspicious as she crossed her arms.

"Nothing," Dad said, before walking up to her and kissing her cheek. "Are you all hungry?"

"Yes," I replied eagerly—all I had been thinking about for the last twenty minutes was how empty my stomach felt.

"How about Luke and I go grab us all some breakfast, and you two find the coffeemaker so we can make a great big pot of coffee?"

"You think a woman's place is in the kitchen, Dad?" I crossed my arms, just wanting to give him a hard time, and I watched as he gave me an unamused look. "Why don't you and Luke stay to make coffee while we go out to grab food? You don't think we can handle it?"