"could you do me a favor?"

chapter fifty-five: could you do me a favor?

me digging a grave for lukeless chapters !!!!!get those outta here !!!

get those outta here !!!

SATURDAY MORNING. Things were not entirely coincidental.

After driving to the convenience store, purchasing a ridiculous amount of tests for Jenna, and getting back in time for Jenna to do her business just for all of us to collectively wait for several minutes before getting the results—all signs pointed toward Jenna being pregnant.

I had been the one voted to look at the tests after waiting for them to process, and it had taken at least fifteen minutes to calm Jenna down once I had told her the news. The other girls wanted to be in shock, but the second we processed that Jenna was having a tough time accepting the results of the test, the three of us did our best to set aside our own feelings to focus our attention solely on Jenna.

None of us really had any idea of how to feel and we definitely didn't know how to make Jenna feel better—mostly because Jenna couldn't even decide how she felt about the outcome. Her first instinct had been to deny it; then she switched to feeling like it was exciting to think about it, since she had wanted to be a mom for as long as she could remember; but then she'd panic about the fact a small human had begun to grow inside her; and, lastly, she'd start to worry about how Danny might react before cycling back through the different emotions.

Madalyn eventually stated that there was nothing that could be done in that moment and suggested that we try to calm our nerves by watching a movie. Especially since Jenna had decided that she didn't want to tell Danny right away.

The rest of the night was a rollercoaster—never was there a steady path of peace; the four of us would be fine for around twenty minutes before it was somehow brought up again. Sometimes we were able to talk about it happily and other times more exasperated conversation would be brought up.

We could hardly imagine one of us being a mom, but Jenna could also confidently say that she could see herself having a kid without it being too overwhelming. It worried her to think about possibly putting career plans on hold, but she also knew that teaching would be possible with a baby. But every time she genuinely gave in to thoughts about it being a possibility, she would get flustered that she was even having to think about it in the first place.

None of us could believe she was having to genuinely think about any of those things.

We all passed out early, most likely due to all the excitement, and I woke up early to find Madalyn waiting for one of us to stir. It wasn't long until Emma joined us, but we let Jenna sleep in.

"I still can't believe this," Madalyn whispered as we stood in the kitchen, coffee mugs in our hands. Jenna was still asleep on the couch, but the rest of us had migrated to the kitchen so we could talk without disturbing her.