"what did i miss?"

chapter thirty-two: what did i miss?

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. It had been well over two weeks since Emma, Jenna, and Madalyn had all seen each other. Which called for a lunch date; with the addition of Kate. I was beyond excited for Emma and Kate to meet because I knew they'd get along perfectly, but part of me felt nervous about the whole thing. 

After talking to Danny, I had become more aware of my circles blending together. I wasn't scared of that blend personally, but I did worry that I was being a nuisance to everyone else involved. I knew Danny hadn't meant to make me feel insecure in that aspect, but I did worry that I was overstepping certain bounds that I wasn't entirely aware of.

"There she is!" Madalyn sang out, pulling me from my thoughts as Emma walked up to the table. We had met off campus, but it was only a short distance for us who had class whereas Emma had been further away. Madalyn and Jenna both stood to embrace Emma, which made me smile. I got up as well, taking my own turn once they were finished.

"It's so good to see you all again," Emma said, smiling wide as she took a seat once we had pulled away.

"Oh—Em, this is Kate. Kate, this is Emma," I introduced the girls and they smiled as they greeted one another.

"I've been itching to meet you for a while—I'm such a fan of your all's videos. I mean, I guess I'm biased because I'm Josie's biggest fan but... you all really have a good thing going," Kate told Emma, laughing sort of nervously as she made conversation.

"Oh, gosh," Emma said, beginning to laugh as well. "I'm glad you like them. I sort of forget that they're just... out there. For anyone to see."

"Howie and I tune in religiously," Madalyn told us, which caused my eyes to roll and Emma's cheeks to blush.

"Danny's always one of the first to watch—I swear," Jenna chipped in.

"You're too good for us, Jen?" Emma joked, which caused Jenna's eyes to playfully roll, but I could tell that she felt embarrassed by making it sound like she didn't watch them.

"I always tune in, too... Danny's just the one who turns it on," Jenna explained, and we all quietly laughed at her words. "I go through and dislike all the shitty hate comments."

"Jen, you're not supposed to bring that kind of thing up," Madalyn reprimanded which caused me to laugh.

"It's not like we don't see them, Mads," I told her with a shrug before taking a sip of the water I had ordered. "Oh, shit—do you want me to go up with you, Em? To order?"

"No, no! I got it," she told me, smiling as she started to stand. "I sort of forgot I was here to eat," she giggled. "I'll be right back."

"Sheesh, she's so pretty," Kate said once Emma was in line.