"since when have you been superstitious?"

chapter sixty-one: since when have you been superstitious?

FRIDAY (cont'd). Once we had showered and gotten dressed, we got our things packed up. While Luke was finishing packing up, I sneaked out of our room and over to the room that Emma was sharing with Ashton. The only downside to having traveled together was that we only had one car; I hadn't been able to talk to Emma about her plan yet, so I had no idea whether she was hoping to also use the car.

After knocking on the door, I waited approximately one minute before the door swung open and revealed a wet-haired Ashton. I smiled up at his familiar face and he smiled wide once he saw me, too.

"What brings you to our humble abode this morning?" Ashton asked as he leaned against the doorframe, gently drying the ends of his hair with a small towel.

"Is the princess awake?" I asked him.

"She is... does that mean you came to see her and not me?" he pouted which caused my eyes to roll. He let out a chuckle before turning to look over his shoulder and calling out to Emma. She walked into view a couple of seconds later with a smile on her face.

"Good morning, Jo," she told me.

"Good morning, Emms. Do you guys know what your plan is for today?" I asked as I leaned against the opposite side of the doorframe.

"Ashton's meeting the siblings," Emma told me with slightly wide eyes and a forced smile on her face. My mouth fell agape momentarily as I processed her words. I had almost forgotten that her sister had moved to San Diego somewhat recently. "Matt's visiting her, so... when I mentioned I was in town, it was sort of impossible to avoid them."

"She's making me think it's going to be so bad," Ashton whined as he gently hit his forehead against the doorframe as he turned his body toward the wood.

"It's not going to be bad," I assured him. "You're just going to find out that Emma is a slight anomaly in her family... she's the youngest, yet she's the caretaker. Della and Matt are just... different," I said, speaking cautiously as I tried to find the right way to describe them. Della was relatively a joy to be around; Matt, on the other hand, seemed as though he had stopped maturing at age sixteen and was a bit too whiny for a twenty-nine year old. But he wasn't horrible to be around.

"It will be fine," Emma said through a sigh. "I'm just hoping they act semi-normal around him, but the only way to find out is to see them and experience it... sadly."

"Em... you've got to go in with a good attitude," I reminded her; whenever she went into anything thinking it was going to be bad, she always ruined it for herself. She nodded her head at me and sent me a thankful smile. "Luke and I are planning to head home... I just wanted to make sure you'd be okay without the car before making any definite plans."

"No worries at all," Emma promised me. "Della's going to come pick us up to take us to hers, and then we'll just travel with Calum and Michael when it comes time for them to leave here."