"you're my forever person"

chapter twenty-seven: you're my forever person

THURSDAY MORNING. I woke up to the sound of my alarm, beckoning me to start my day whether I was ready or not. As I groaned in annoyance and flailed myself to the edge of the bed to grab my phone from the bedside table, my eyes opened but remained squinted as I attempted to turn the alarm off. Through my squinted eyes, I noticed a faint light beginning to settle around me and realized I had left the blinds in Luke's bedroom open; even if I had forgotten to set an alarm, I would've been woken up in the next twenty minutes by the rising sun. 

I laid back in bed once my alarm had been defeated, and stretched my back. I wished for nothing more than to have Luke lying beside me, getting in the way of my morning stretch. I missed him always, but the mornings usually hit me the hardest.

I sat up once I felt sufficiently stretched and let out a mighty yawn as I looked around the room that was slowly getting brighter. Mid-yawn, I found myself shaking my head at Luke's bare walls. I had never thought to ask him, but I wondered how long he had lived in his place. I hoped the answer would be not long, because such little thought had gone to most of the rooms.

Thinking of decorations, I suddenly remembered I was in the process of moving into my dream house, and a wide smile found its way to my face.

I reached for my phone once again, this time taking it from the charge, and sent Luke a good morning text. I was surprised to see I didn't have one waiting for me. He had been good about sending them first while being on the east coast for the last couple of weeks, but I hoped he was getting some much needed rest.

I got out of bed and waltzed out of Luke's bedroom, down the hall to the kitchen. I started to make myself some coffee as I waited for a text back. As much as I wanted him to be getting sleep, I also missed him and wanted to talk to him.

I decided to make myself some toast as well, knowing I should eat something and that I should use the bread I had bought for myself at his place before it went bad.

I was eating my toast and drinking my coffee in the living room about ten minutes later when my phone notified me that I had received a message. As I read the first line of the text, I cursed under my breath. I had completely forgotten that Luke and the boys had an interview this morning; I had forgotten to wish him luck.

Instantly, I FaceTimed him. I knew he might not pick up, but I didn't mind taking my chances. To my delight, he answered almost immediately.

"Good morning, baby," Luke said with a smile as he answered the phone, seeming to be on a couch. He was in a teal-colored silk button up shirt, with his chest mostly exposed, and suddenly my mind was filled with all sorts of thoughts.

"G'morning," I responded somewhat awkwardly as I realized I had taken a long pause to stare at him through the screen.

"You okay?" he asked me through a laugh as he tilted his head to the side.