"right where i want to be"

chapter forty-two: right where i want to be

EARLY MONDAY MORNING. Instead of going to sleep as we should have, Luke and I decided to stay up all throughout the night until I drove him to the airport. We had taken a nap earlier in the day, and it had served us well, so we weren't on the brink of total insanity. 

The day had seemed to go by slowly in the most wonderful way, almost like the universe knew it was our last day together for a while and wanted to help us out.

After shopping around for about three hours and running into only a couple of fans, I had found everything I could think of getting. Luke and I hadn't really gone on errands like that together before, and somehow the morning had furthered my confidence that he really was the best. They never tell you this, but being able to go on simple errands with someone is important in a relationship. And Luke was the best company.

"I shouldn't have let you stay up all this time," Luke announced on the drive to the airport. "What if you fall asleep on the way home because I'm not here to keep you awake?" he asked as he snuggled into the passenger seat. I had taken a far better nap than him, so he was much more tired than I was.

"I won't fall asleep, Luke," I assured him through a laugh. "You worry too much."

"Maybe I should call you on the way home, just to be sure," Luke suggested as his eyes started to close.

"For some reason, I don't know how much of a help that would be," I teased him which made him chuckle as he forced his eyes back open. "I promise I'll be okay."

"Okay," Luke said before letting out a quiet sigh. "Thanks for driving me, Josie. I would've been sad if I had to say goodbye at the house."

"I know, that's why I didn't let it happen." My words caused him to giggle and I smiled at the noise. "Are you about to fall asleep on me?"

"No," he said unconvincingly. "How much longer 'til we're there?"

"About ten minutes," I informed him right before a yawn escaped my lips. The sound seemed to alert Luke and he sat up as he looked over at me.

"Jos, don't you get tired."

"Luke, I'm fine!" I told him through a laugh. "Let the human driving yawn while you go to sleep over there."

"I just want you to be safe," he pouted before sinking back down into the seat. "You'll drive to mine, right?"

"Yes, Lu." After I replied, Luke reached his hand over and placed it on my thigh. I looked down at its placement and smiled before looking back toward the road. He gently brushed his thumb against the fabric of the leggings I was wearing.