the interview: "confirm or deny"

chapter twenty-nine: confirm or deny

this is the shortest chapter of all time

Luke's POV

"So, how many shows have you all done so far?" I found myself zoning out as the four of us sat on a shared couch, looking over at the woman interviewing us. It had been going well, but I felt nervous that she'd bring up recent events involving Josie. 

Ashton took the question and began to answer it, talking for longer than was probably necessary, but saying a bunch of charming shit that continued to make the interviewer happy. I woke up this morning knowing I'd be more on the quiet side, but I was still having a good time. I felt like it was a good interview so far, I was just dreading my potential blabbermouth once any attention was placed on me.

"And it seems you had someone special accompanying you for the last couple of weeks?" I came to as the interview egged Ashton on to talk about Emma, and I glanced at him as I waited for him to respond.

"Yeah, my girlfriend's been tagging along," Ashton said, smiling as he glanced away from the interviewer for a moment. "She's going back home soon, though. But it's been really nice."

"Now, how often would you all say you get to see those sorts of people in your life while you're away on tour? Is it common to have them come along?"

"I wouldn't say it's too common," Michael said with a shake of his head. "We cherish it when it happens, but the people we love and care for have a life away from us, just like we have a life away from them. As much as I wish our girls could just come along for the entire tour, that's not how it works because... this isn't their job—it's ours."

"That's proving to be sort of hard for you, Luke, isn't it?" When the interviewer said my name, my eyes widened slightly as I looked over at her. "Your name hasn't exactly been resting easy these past few days... and Josie Culley isn't helping that. I think the majority of people had really come to believe the two of you weren't involved... so what's the story on that?"

"You're a clever one," I joked, laughing bogusly as I felt myself get nervous. "Usually I'd roll my eyes and think of how to avoid this kind of question, but maybe it's time to change that."

"I wouldn't usually ask, but we're all dying to know... it's a simple confirm or deny. Are you together?"

"Yes, we're together," I answered, feeling my heart pound so hard it could be heard in my ears. "And I've never been happier," I admitted.

"Does she know that?"

"That she makes me happy?" I asked through a scoff. "I'd hope so. I only tell her about a hundred times a day."

"If you're so happy... what's all the drama about?" As annoyed as I was with all the questioning, part of me didn't mind.

"The media is always after a story and they don't care who they have to plow through to get it; Josie's in a nasty situation that she doesn't deserve to be in. I've hated seeing what she's dealing with this past week. Jos is a constant in this world of pure chaos—she's so good, yet surrounded by plenty of bad. The story the media's after isn't truth... it's what brings in the money, and I hate that people are actually believing some of the garbage that's being published. She's seen with another guy, and suddenly she's cheating on me? Or we're a publicity stunt? It's all just garbage."

"So... there's not another guy?"

"No, of course not. He's just a guy in a picture that's being framed to fit a story—he's nobody worth losing sleep over. He's not proof of anything."

"Well, you've heard it here, folks." The woman turned to the camera and I laughed quietly, just before doing the same.

"Here's a special message to Josie Culley—hey, I love you. I'll talk to you soon, and I can't wait to see you." As I finished my words, the guys started to clap and holler which caused me to chuckle. The live audience also began to cheer, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Is she going to be happy that you've finally announced it, or do you think you'll be regretting all this soon?"

"We just want to be ourselves—completely. We're so sick of having to pretend. Even if she's watching this and thinks for a split second that I shouldn't have done this—she'll be so happy when she realizes it's public knowledge. We're tired of listening to and reading lies, yet still not telling the truth—so this is the truth. We're together, we're happy, and nothing is changing that; especially not some bogus articles trying to break us apart."

a/n:

literally the shortest chapter i have ever written omg this isn't even a chapter. this is a blurb. this is barely a one paged paper. this is wild

but hope u enjoyed!!!

more to this will come soon <3

jill