"alexa, play 'they don't know about us' by 1D"

chapter thirty: alexa, play 'they don't know about us' by 1D

this is still about the interview, so here's the sister gif of the one from the last chapter

here's the sister gif of the one from
the last chapter

SUNDAY MORNING. Luke's interview was set to air in the next couple of minutes, so the entire gang was over at my place. However, Emma and Kate weren't present. I had been texting Luke all morning about how excited I was to see whatever he had seemed so thrilled about, and he seemed just as happy for me to see it. I tried to see if Emma knew anything about it, but she told me that she hadn't gone with the boys to the studio that morning and that Ashton had also told her that she'd have to wait to watch it for herself. 

Madalyn didn't miss a beat once the interview went up, and Jenna rushed back into the room with a pitcher of lemonade that she had decided to make last minute. She poured everyone a glass and we all tuned in.

"Babe, this is kind of shit," Danny whispered about three minutes in, coughing after taking a sip of his drink. She sent him a glare that caused him to laugh, and after we all had taken a sip, we joined in. Even Jenna wasn't thrilled with the product.

"We'll try again later—but for now, everyone shut up!" I laughed at Madalyn's words and suddenly remembered that this was her whole thing. Memories of being sat down and forced to watch livestreams and various interviews of the boys began to flood back, and it made me smile.

It was funny how the world worked.

The interview continued to chug along and I felt myself begin to zone out as I began to think about my interview with the boys. So much had changed and it all seemed surreal; like I was simply living some daydream and that I was gonna wake up any second now.

"—Josie Culley isn't helping that." Suddenly, I wasn't daydreaming and my head whipped in the direction of the screen. I had heard Madalyn gasp and judging from the tension in the air, everyone was on the edge of their seats. "I think the majority of people had really come to believe the two of you weren't involved... so what's the story on that?"

I could feel my heartbeat all throughout my body and I felt like the pause between the interviewer's words and Luke's response was centuries long. This was not what I had expected.

"You're a clever one," Luke joked, clearly nervous yet trying to play it cool. "Usually I'd roll my eyes and think of how to avoid this kind of question, but maybe it's time to change that."

"Time to change that?" I asked aloud, my face hot and my body seconds away from going into shock.

"Shh!" Madalyn said, slapping my arm and receiving a smack from me just seconds later.

"I wouldn't usually ask," the interviewer admitted before continuing, "but we're all dying to know... it's a simple confirm or deny. Are you together?"