"do you wanna call?"

chapter two: do you wanna call?

SATURDAY MORNING. After sharing a goodbye coffee chat with Cam, we packed the few things he had at my place into his car before making our way to our parents' house. We drove separately and I couldn't help but find myself becoming somewhat sad being alone. Usually, car rides were a getaway, but I found myself wanting nothing more than someone beside me. 

We got to my parents' house in good time, and I was thankful that I'd be spending time with them. I still couldn't believe just how quick they had come to like Luke, but I also had started to think maybe I didn't give them enough credit. They were good people; they were my people. Of course they'd like Luke after seeing how happy he made me. 

Thankfully I had been in much better contact with my parents since having Luke over for dinner; they were some of the first people to know that we had made things official. Gabe had been offended when I called him and swore him to secrecy about the relationship, but I felt it somewhat necessary. I couldn't have my kid brother trying to impress some girl by whipping out 'My sister dates Luke Hemmings.'

"It's good to see you, squirt." I smiled as my dad pulled me into his chest, hugging me tightly before placing a kiss on my head. "How are you?"

"I'm doing okay," I told him with a smile. "I'm excited for classes to start Wednesday. I think it'll be good for me."

"I think so, too," he told me as he sent me a sad smile. "Once classes are filling your mind, you won't have as much time to miss that silly boy."

"I sure hope," I told him through a soft laugh. "Sleeping in the apartment alone for the first time will be strange, but it had to happen at some point."

"I believe in you, kiddo. You're stronger than you think. Living on your own might just be exactly what you need." My dad leaned down to kiss my head one last time before taking a couple of steps away from me. "Your mom's in the kitchen, she made breakfast."

As my dad went to meet my brother who had just pulled into the driveway, I walked into the house and made my way to the kitchen. Before I could get there, Sunny and Gumbo nearly knocked me over as they rushed up to me. I smiled down at them both and kneeled down as I gave them plenty of scratches, kisses, and hugs.

I had taken Sunny's face into my hands and kissed her nose when I heard footsteps nearing. Gumbo was nudging his paw into my side as he whined, and I turned to him as I laughed, giving him some attention as well

"They missed you." I looked up at my mom, now realizing the footsteps had been hers, and I smiled. "We all did," she said with a smile. I pushed myself up and made my way to her before giving her a hug. "What's the pet policy for your apartment?"

"Why?" I asked, laughing quietly as we walked into the kitchen.

"I don't know... you're on your own now and Sunny is yours." My mouth fell agape at my mom's words and I slowly furrowed my brows.