"you love me still?"

chapter twenty-eight: you love me still?

FRIDAY AFTERNOON. After my classes, I was on my way to work with a huge smile planted on my face. Emma had flown in about three hours ago, and she was down at the studio. It felt like a century since the last time I had seen her, somehow, so I couldn't wait to wrap my arms around her and let her know just how much I'd missed her. 

After parking in my usual spot, I rushed to get out of my car and into the front doors of the building. As I did so, I smiled at Stevie who was standing in the lobby, talking to a new intern.

"She's waiting for you," he told me, which caused me to laugh. I thanked him before hurrying back to our office. The door was open and my heart was pounding; I couldn't wait to see her. I peeked my head in and smiled as I saw Emma at her desk, looking down at her phone.

"Oh—you still work here?" My words prompted Emma to instantly look up at me and I watched as she smiled widely, just before pushing herself out of her chair and rushing over to me. "God, I missed you." Neither of us had let a second pass before wrapping our arms around each other and squeezing tight.

"I don't think I've gone this long without seeing you since you started working here. I'm not sure I ever realized how much you actually meant to me, even though I was sure that I did." Emma's words made me laugh, mostly because I knew exactly what she meant. I felt the same way. "I honestly thought about cutting my trip short once all this drama started. I've been so mad that I haven't been able to be here for you."

"You would've been absolutely insane to do such a thing. I'm fine," I told her as we pulled away from one another.

"But I want you to be better than fine, Jo," she pouted which caused me to snicker. "Have there been any updates?"

"Nothing I haven't already told you," I told her with a shrug before we both decided to sit down on the couch in our office. "He has continued to be civil—he doesn't look in my direction during class, and that's how I like it."

"He'd have to deal with me if he even thought about looking at you." I chuckled at Emma's words, but was grateful for them.

"How was Ashton?"

"So good," she told me through a smile. She immediately began to glow once I had brought him up, and that made me happy. "I miss him so much already, but it was so nice to spend that time with him. I think part of me was scared that we'd spend those weeks together and then kind of get bored? But I don't think I could ever get bored of him."

"I'm really happy for you, Emms. I loved seeing you two together when I was there... you just work. And it was so refreshing to witness what you have."

"Aww... thanks, Jo." I watched as Emma's cheeks began to crimson, and the sight caused me to smile. "You know, it was nice to spend time with all the guys because I hadn't really gotten the chance before, but... sometimes Luke would get so sad spending time with us. I knew he never wanted to seem down, but sometimes he couldn't help it."