Chapter 16- "Why exactly are you dating my daughter?"

NATHAN POV

Scarlett looks so pretty today. I know she hasn't worn anything special but her face is just a huge turn-on for me. And the fact that she is as pretty on the inside as she is on the outside makes me like her even more. If I didn't know myself better, I could have sworn I was in love.

Maybe I am and I just don't know it yet.

She nudges my hand as the screen displays her mom. Her Dad is nowhere to be seen. I take a deep breath and give Mrs.Woods a big smile. I want to get this over with even faster than Scarlett does. There's a voice deep down in my head that says that I've seen Mrs.Woods somewhere. Which is kind of absurd because I'm pretty sure our paths haven't crossed before.

I mean, I haven't seen her even once after I got to know Scarlett; not even in a picture. And I'm not likely to have spotted a high-profile businesswoman like her walking on the streets of New York, when I lived there. I think I'm just having a particularly strong attack of déjà vu. Researchers say that déjà vu and anxiety go hand in hand. Right about now, saying that I'm anxious would be a colossal understatement.

Mrs.Woods smiles at me and I can see where Scarlett gets her beauty from.

"Hello there, young man. I'm Scarlett's mother. Her Dad just received an important phone call and he'll join us shortly." Mrs.Woods comments, rather placidly.

"Isn't that just the story of my life? When are you and Dad ever there for me together?" Scarlett mutters, somewhat disrespectfully.

"Scarlett, that's no way to talk to your parents. Especially not in front of someone else. What will Nathan think?" Her mom chides.

I inwardly grin. I don't know if Mrs.Woods really cares about what I think or she's just pretending, but the importance I get makes me feel really good.

"Um, I don't mean to be disrespectful but I really wouldn't think bad of Scarlett for talking back. I mean, sure it's not very respectful of her or anything, but it's not easy to never snap at your parents, although I wouldn't really know." I say, referring to the fact that I lost my folks a little over a year ago. And that I haven't really snapped at my uncle or aunt even once. Partly because they're easy to get along with and partly because I don't want them to think bad about my parents or question my upbringing.

If Mrs.Woods wants to get to know me, she might as well know that I am also an orphan. It isn't shameful or embarrassing; only painful. Sometimes, I really miss them and at other times, I'm doing okay. It's like, one minute I'm doing fine and the next, I feel like the walls are closing in, I'm being caved in inside my own head, and my heart starts sounding like a thousand drums all at once to me. But, for the most part, I'm okay.

"I see that you've gotten yourself a really loyal boyfriend, dear. And what exactly is he insinuating by the fact that he wouldn't know? Has he already left his parents?" she taunts. I get the feeling that all is not well between the two. Rather, nothing is. All Scarlett's mom seems to be doing is taunting her daughter and all Scar is doing is scowl. Hazel has disappeared into some room. So, I guess it's up to me to make the atmosphere more placid.

"Don't you see him sitting right here, next to me? Why don't you ask him yourself?" Scar snaps yet again. I sigh. This is no way for a mother and daughter to be communicating.

"Um, the thing is, I lost my parents to a car crash a little over a year ago. I live with my uncle and aunt a few streets away from your house now." I reply. Many people might have taken offence over the fact that Mrs.Woods assumed me to be a rebel, but not me. For one, I am really used to snide remarks. And two, I don't think she really meant it.