Chapter 9- "Okay?"

Chapter 9- "Okay?"

NATHAN POV

She said I was a nice guy. A nice guy. That's gotta count for something, right? Maybe she didn't mean nice nice.. Just nice.. Oh God! I don't know what to make of it. But I reckon to a normal person, unlike me, being called nice by the object of their affections is, indeed, a matter of great joy. Even so, I have no positive feeling about this. None at all.

I didn't know anything about Jonathan, but then again, Scarlett and I had only known each other for a week. It was unlikely that she would pour her heart out to me in such a short span of time anyway.

Evan and Emmett filled me in with a little while I was still conscious but my head was still spinning a bit and the details were a bit woozy.

What I gathered though was that Scarlett had, and according to Emmett, has, a major thing for Jonathan, and when she confessed the same to him, he left her and didn't look back once.

Till today, that is.

My head ached very badly. I could see Evan and Emmett pacing the room nervously. Lauren was nowhere to be seen. My eyes, which were used to those thick glasses, could only make out so much without them.

I coughed a little to get their attention. Evan, who appeared to be texting someone, presumably Allie, looked up for a minute and nodded towards Emmett. Emmett walked over and handed my glasses to me. There was a hushed, almost forced silence in the room. For the first time since I opened my eyes, I looked around.

I appeared to be in the ER. I didn't know Jonathan's punch would hurt so bad. I tried to speak but nothing except a croak came out. Emmett handed me a glass of water, rather reluctantly at that. I wondered what was up with him. After Scar, he was the friendliest person to me. If he was mad, he did a good job of showing it.

"The girls will be here soon. Emmett, come here, we need to talk." Evan said. Not really having an option, Emmett followed suit. He appeared to have been crying. His green eyes were bloodshot and there was no trace of that usual smile on his face. They went out of the room. Lauren was still nowhere to be seen. I worried about her. If there was someone I thought who'd be there for me always, it was Lauren.

"Um, Evan, can you like tell me what happened after I sorta passed out?" I asked Evan, once he was back.

"I'm actually asking Allie myself. All I can gather from her hushed-up texts is that Scarlett didn't take it well and that they're on their way here. God, I could kill Jonathan now!" Evan answered succinctly.

A lot of time seemed to have passed before Scarlett entered the room. Allie ran in, grabbing Lauren's arm as well. Lauren too appeared to have been crying. I wondered if the lovebirds had been having a rough patch. That explained the red eyes... But nothing explained Emmett's obvious hostility towards me.

"Nathan... Are you okay? I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I should have told you about Jonathan long ago. I just thought that if you knew I had been rejected once, you wouldn't want to be friends with a loser like me. Look at your face! Look at how he's spoilt it! Oh, I'm so sorry, Nate!" Scar whimpered.

"Are you crazy? Why are you apologizing? It's alright Scarlett. I'd have done the same if I had been in your place. Really." I said.

"No, you wouldn't have.... But then not all of us can be as awesome as you!" she said, fighting back a smile. We just had a TFIOS moment. It's the same thing Hazel says to reassure Augustus about him conning her to fall in love with him.