Chapter 11- "Okay fine... I think I kind of like Nathan!"

SCARLETT POV

It is a bright sunny Saturday morning and I am curled up on the couch, re-reading Harry Potter for the umpteenth time. My favorite book in the series is Deathly Hallows. It's the last book, and to be honest, the perfect end to the six epic fantasy novels. I'm just about to reach the part where the truth about Snape is revealed, but I reach out for a tissue first. You may think of it as an overreaction, but honestly, when Snape reveals his unconditional love for Lily, my heart breaks.

It's a fangirl thing.

Just then the phone rings. Grudgingly, I keep the book down and reach out for the cordless. I pick up and am greeted by a familiar male voice. It's neither Emmett nor Evan, so I take the phone away from the extension, just in case Hazel wants to eavesdrop on my non-existent love life.

Then, I apologize for the delay and realize its Nathan who's calling. Taken aback, I compose myself before replying, "Yeah, it's me. What's up?" I say. Then I realize that I probably sounded too flippant and mentally facepalm myself for my idiocy.

"Nothing much. I just got the clean chit from Aunt Ellen and was wondering if we could hang out at the mall. Haven't been there for some time now." he says, casually. I'm confused. Does he mean hanging out, as in a date? Or hanging out, as in Lauren, Emmett, Evan, Allie, Adrian, him and me meeting up? I try to find out, rather subtly. Or so, I think.

"Hang out, as in?" I ask cautiously, trying my best not to give him any hint of my wish to actually go out with him.

"Don't worry. It's not a date. If Nathan Cullen ever asked you out on a date, he would be much more charming than this." He says. I'm glad he's taken no offence and just to be sure, I reply with a joke of mine.

"Yep, you sure would be. About as charming as an escaped convict." I jeer.

"Oh, please. I had a girlfriend back home." He says. For some reason, this is making me feel jealous. I change the topic.

"Whatever. I'm in. The others are too. They don't have a choice. Meet up by 4?" I ask. This time, Nathan complies and says a polite thank-you before hanging up.

I thank my stars that the phone call is over. I have a tendency to embarrass myself easily, and somehow, it multiplies tenfold if the said person is of any romantic interest to me. I call up Allie, Adrian and Lauren and ask them to come over around 3. That way, Hazel can drop us off in her car. I like Lauren. She's just like a female version of Emmett, so it's no surprise those two ended up dating. The girls know more or less how I feel about Nathan. I haven't said a word about it to either Evan or Emmett because I can honestly live without the suggestive gestures they are bound to make everytime I talk to Nathan, once they know.

***********************************

I'm on my fourth episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' marathon when the girls show up. I switch off the television and we all go up to my room. I have a feeling that today, they're going to want me to officially confess that I kind of like Nathan because they have this determined look on their faces. I know the look on Adrian's face. About two years ago, when Evan and Allie first started going out, she had the same look on her face. Allie looks equally determined to get something out of me too. Lauren's face is expressionless.

I plop down on my bed and am greeted with three excited faces. They are all looking at me knowingly. Allie's smirking. Okay, it's confession time.

Blushing, I slowly murmur "Okay, fine.... I think I kind of like Nathan."