Wait and see

The cottage was spotless; Hana had spent hours this morning ensuring that it was tidy, welcoming and fully presentable in all parts. Of course, she'd had visitors here before, but this was entirely different. She checked the clock. It was one-thirty, and Drake was due to arrive at two.

The last time her stomach had been in such a knot was the night of the Coronation Ball; the night she'd thought her time in Cordonia was up, the night she'd had to confess something that had been eating her inside. Talking to Jen had made her feel so much better. And while nothing had come of her confession that night, the trend continued. Talking to Jen about her dilemmas always helped.

She glanced at her phone, wondering what time it was now on that paradise island, contemplating sending Jen a quick text to see if she had a minute to talk. But no, that wasn't fair, she had to let them have their honeymoon in peace. Especially given today's date. She sighed. It wasn't really as if she had much to say. There was nothing complicated about today, after all. It was just a friend, seeing another friend, on Valentine's Day.

As soon as she stopped watching her phone, it pinged. She grabbed it and looked on. It was a text from Drake.

SO... MIND IF RICK TAGS ALONG? HE WANTS TO SPEAK WITH US BOTH. HE WON'T BE STAYING LONG.

Hana sighed, and replied. THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FINE. IT WILL BE LOVELY TO SEE HIM TOO. ARE YOU STILL AT THE PALACE? If he hadn't left yet, then he would be a little while.

NO WE'RE EN ROUTE. I'LL JUST NEED A CAR SORTING TO GET HOME LATER. UNLESS I CAN CRASH ROUND YOURS?

Hana gasped. This was unexpected. She only had one bedroom, and little in the way of spare bedding.

Another text. BY THAT I MEAN ROUND JONES & MAXWELL'S PLACE. NOT YOURS.

Of course. I'M SURE CHRISTOPHER WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOU. WHETHER IT'S A CAR OR LODGINGS. YOU CAN DECIDE LATER. SEE YOU BOTH SOON!

She placed her phone to one side, her anxiety not soothed by this development. Would Rick being with them make things more awkward? Would he end up staying longer than planned? What was so important that he needed to speak to them both about in person anyway? He'd obviously decided he was coming whether or not she'd agreed to it. And what did the fact that Drake was contemplating staying at Valtoria overnight mean?

She exhaled slowly, fidgeted with her fingers a little, and stood up, straightening her dress, to prepare an extra place setting at the table.

***

"She's fine," Drake said to Rick, pocketing his phone. "I knew she would be. That's why I didn't think I needed to mention it. It's not like..."

Rick smiled wryly at Drake. "I understand. But I am sure Hana will wish to prepare for my arrival. At least now she has the opportunity."

"True," sighed Drake. He still didn't know what this was about. "And you're going on to Ramsford from here, you say?"

"Yes. Where I will be consulting with Bertrand and Madeleine. Ideally I would have met you all at once, but I didn't want to disrupt your existing plans."

"Huh, we could come along with you, I'm sure Hana would be okay with that. If it's important."

"It is important." He sighed. "I just don't know how important yet. I just want to run something past the two of you."