Party time.. or something like that

"Best. Birthday. Present. EVERRRR!" Maxwell chased after his awesome gift excitedly, as it attempted to settle into its new home; the peacock enclosure of their menagerie. "Has he got a name, Jen?"

"Of course not," Jen giggled, holding Bella on her hip. "You get to name him, birthday boy!"

Ooo, the power! He paused, contemplatively, placing his finger against his chin in what he soon realised was a most Bertrandesque manner. "I think you look like a Fred. Too mundane? Um... what about Ghosty? Ahhh.. I've got it!" He patted the peacock on its cute lil white crest affectionately. "I dub thee, Sir Frosty."

"I like that, babe," Jen said. "Sir Frosty suits him."

"Seriously, these babies aren't cheap," Maxwell said, turning to his amazing wife. "They're uber rare, compared to the others. How much did you pay for him?"

"That doesn't matter," said Jen. "Just enjoy him. I know you've always wanted a white peacock, and I had to get you something awesome for such a big birthday."

Maxwell knelt down on the ground, staring into the little fella's bright blue eyes. "So, Sir Frosty, you get to live here now! Good luck attracting the eye of the ladies, because the other guys have got colour on their side... mind you, what you lack in pigment, you possess in panache! All you need to do is shimmer and shake those tail feathers." He got his phone out to snap some photos. "Selfie time!"

"Are you seriously planning to take a selfie with a peacock?" Jen chuckled. "I'd say I'm surprised, but... no, I'm not surprised at all actually."

"Ack! Come back, Sir Frosty!" The peacock fluttered off when the ringtone of his phone sounded loudly. I'm a lowkey genius for setting it to Happy Birthday today! "We'll postpone the photo-op for now. Surely this must be a dear friend of mine with birthday greetings to bestow?" It was only Rick! "Heyyyy, buddy! How's things?"

"Good morning, Maxwell," Rick said. "And many congratulations on the occasion of your thirtieth birthday."

"Thanks, bud!" Maxwell was grinning at Jen. "It's Rick, Jen! Hey, you'll never guess what Jen got me for my birthday!"

"I daresay you are right there, but I would hazard a guess it either has something to do with squids or peacocks..."

"Bing!" Maxwell shrilled over the phone line. "It's a white peacock, and he's stunning! Aw, look, he's checking out the ladies... think we're about to be treated to his spread.... quick, Jen, get a picture!"

"On it," he heard her say, as she and Bella headed in the direction of their newest pet displaying all his tail feathers like a pro.

"Well, I hope you have an agreeable day," Rick went on. "I was sorry to hear that your birthday party has been postponed until later in the year. But I have to agree with your wife's decision, some might regard such a large social gathering as irresponsible at this particular time. Our European neighbours are already locking down and discouraging non-essential travel, after all."

Wait what? "Postponed?"

"You were aware?" Rick sighed. "Oh dear. Did I just ruin the surprise?"

"I won't tell her if you don't," Maxwell quipped.

"Tell me what?" Jen was back, lines of suspicion defining her beautiful face.

Busted. "Uh.. tell you that Rick guessed first time what you got me for my birthday?"

"He's a clever one," she agreed, seemingly oblivious. Whew.