Superdad induction complete

Jen was still wide awake by the time morning arrived, although Maxwell had eventually succumbed to a quick power nap at around five am. Dr Ramirez had stayed with Jen throughout that time, doing regular checks on Bella and helping Jen to get the hang of feeding her, which she thought was going okay. Some nurses were coming from the hospital this morning to do some further tests, and after that, hopefully, they'd be able to take Bella home to Valtoria.

So when it got to eight am, Jen decided it was about time their closest friends met the newest member of the Dream Team, and summoned them via the trusty group chat. Hopefully this would distract Maxwell, who was itching to break the news on his various social media channels before Madeleine's official announcement (and yes, Bertrand had already been facetimed and introduced to his new niece). Jen had assumed Maxwell would be feeling on top of the world this morning, but he seemed a little edgy; she figured it was the lack of sleep and the stress of her labour. She had put him through hell last night, in more ways than one, and she wasn't proud of one of them.

Hana was the first to rush through the door at exactly eight, making a silent open-mouthed beeline towards Bella, who was snoozing in Jen's arms, all wrapped up in the beautiful blue and purple blanket that Maxwell had given her as a baby shower gift; Jen wasn't sure what had motivated her to pack it in her bag for the ball, but she was so glad she had. Drake followed a few seconds behind Hana with the cutest fluffiest soft toy Jen had ever seen, a golden lion with a soft flowing mane.

"My goodness, Jen, she's so beautiful!" Hana gasped, reaching out to touch Annabelle's forehead very gently. "She looks so like you! But, I can already see she's got her Daddy's eyes."

While Hana was entranced, Jen glanced up at Drake. "Wait, is that a smile I see from Drake Walker?"

"It is. I'm just so damned happy for you two. Jones, Maxwell, you guys really did it," Drake said, beaming from ear to ear. "Congratulations."

"Thanks, Drake, that means a lot. Although, Jen did a lot more of it than I did," Maxwell said, from where he was sitting in a chair on the opposite side of the bed. She expected him to look in her direction, but his attention remained on Drake.

"Hell, I bet. And as for you, little baby..." Drake knelt down next to the bed. "We're so glad you're here. Uncle Drake's gonna look out for you."

"And Auntie Hana can't wait for all of the tea parties and cute outfits and little socks..."

"Your aunt and uncle are totally gonna spoil you, little bean," Jen said.

Rick was the next to step into the room, a wide beam on his face as he stepped towards Jen and Bella, gazing down at his heir wistfully.

"Congratulations, Jen," he said, meeting her eyes. She saw a real sadness in them, and she had an idea why, given last night's revelations.

Drake elbowed him, and he seemed to snap back into the moment, nodding in her husband's direction next. "..Maxwell."

Jen was somewhat irritated by Rick's lack of warmth towards his lifelong friend, but figured she'd cut him some slack. "Thanks, Rick. And congratulations to you too, I suppose."

He nodded, looking once again at Annabelle. "This is a day that will go down in Cordonia's history. And in my own memory as well."

"Well, I do try to be memorable," Jen joked.

"You've certainly succeeded," Rick said, a smile slowly forming on his lips. "Ah. Dr Ramirez." He greeted the doctor, who had been completing some paperwork in the far corner of the room. "I cannot thank you enough for your efforts last night."

"Just doing my job," she said modestly as he shook her hand. "And fortunately, I arrived in time to ensure that the delivery was smooth and as stress-free as it could have been for mom and dad here."