Cirque du Beaumont

(this chapter is NSFW)

***

"Your Majesty. Your Graces. My lords, ladies and gentlemen..."

Bertrand was standing proudly on the grand staircase in the hallway of Beaumont Manor, joined by notably more people than he had been this time last year. Savannah was by his side, holding onto Bartie's hand, his little eyes darting around the room in wonder. Jen and Maxwell stood just behind him, dressed in matching sequinned outfits in Beaumont blue. Jen now had a visible baby bump, while Maxwell's proud grin was more visible than ever. Next to them stood Barthelemy, eyeing the guests gathered below them with diligence.

Hana just wished she could capture the moment for the family with a photograph; but as in the previous year, no cameras were permitted tonight. Instead, she decided to commit the moment to memory in order to sketch it.

"Those of you who attended last year's Beaumont Bash will note that there are a few more Beaumonts hosting this year's soiree," Bertrand announced proudly. "We have gone from two to seven, in what has been quite the annum. Our fortunes have been favourable across the spectrum of possibilities, romantic, financial, familial, and most importantly, good health." He turned to glance at his father. "Father, I could never have imagined a possibility that you would be standing here with us for this year's festivities. I only hope you enjoy the evening as much as Maxwell and I will, in the knowledge that you are a part of it."

Barthelemy nodded and stepped forwards. "You are, as ever, too kind, Bertrand. And I appreciate everything you have done for the House in my absence more than you will ever know. I have heard much about the spectacular parties you have thrown during my illness, and to be in attendance this year means much to me." He turned to address the partygoers. "Cordonia, I promise you that House Beaumont is on the up. You will note the sparkling wine on your tables; this is our first batch since the vineyards reopened. Although immature, each year will see an improved vintage as we grow in strength to, once again, become the Great House we should rightly be!"

"Uh, dad, pretty sure even I never did anything bad enough to have our Great House status revoked," Maxwell said with a nervous look at his father. Then he turned to the front. "Am I right, Rick?"

"You are," Rick announced stoically from where he and Olivia stood at the head of the gathered group, looking in Barthelemy's direction. "It is a genuine pleasure to have you back at court after so long, Barthelemy, though you should be most proud of Bertrand and Maxwell's endeavours in your absence. House Beaumont has remained a true friend to the Crown and the country, just as it was when you became unwell."

"I thank His Majesty for his considerate words," Barthelemy said firmly, and Hana watched as Maxwell leant down to pick something up from beside his feet. She had a feeling she knew what he was up to.

"As do I," Bertrand continued. "And so, with all of House Beaumont with me, let us propose a toast!"

With that, Maxwell and Jen ran up a few steps; Jen was holding an elegant sabre in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other, Maxwell appeared to have a lengthy spear which he was holding in both hands.

"To our good gracious King Rick," Bertrand continued.

Maxwell called out. "To all those here tonight!"

"And to the whole Beaumont family!" cried Jen. "I owe everything to you guys!"

Maxwell had placed his spear down, and now raised his free arm. "Welcome to Cirque du Beaumont!!"

At that point, Savannah passed a ringmaster's hat and pole to a jovial Bertrand, who put on the hat and twirled the pole. Everyone applauded, and Hana decided to switch her gaze back towards Jen and Maxwell, to see what they would do next.