The One That Got Away

"Rowan, you can't run from everything!" I yelled as he stormed up the stairs of his mansion like a kid.

"You are annoying me!" he yelled back from the top.

I stood still from shock. After gathering myself, I continued with our screaming match. "If you bothered to answer anything I asked, I wouldn't keep pestering you!" I screamed, following him up the stairs.

By the time I made it, Rowan turned a left and walked into his office. I huffed and followed close behind.

"If you learned how to respect people's privacy, no questions would need to be asked," he responded, walking around his desk.

I was surprised he didn't yell at me.

"I just don't want you to let everything eat you up on the inside," I said calmly.

"It should be none of your concern, Scarlett," he responded, his voice still loud.

"So you admit that your life is eating you up."

He looked at me, annoyance on his face.

I crossed my arms over my chest and shifted all of my weight on one leg.

"Sit and shut up," he demanded, walking past me.

"I-"

"Scarlett," Rowan cut me off in a warning tone.

I took a seat in front of his desk, and he sat on the edge of the desk.

I looked up at him and pursed my lips.

"I'm going to talk, and you are going to listen."

I nodded my head and sat back in the seat.

He sighed and ran a hand over his face before speaking.

"After my mom died, my father thought it'd be best to have me see an in-house therapist because I was taking it worst than everyone else," he started.

I looked him in the eye. I felt myself being intimidated under his stare.

"At first, everything was fine," he continued. "I was told I was progressing. And that's when she started to touch me."

I noticed his knuckles were paling because of how hard he was gripping the desk. I leaned forward and placed a hand on one of his.

His eyes found mine and he placed his other hand on top of mine. "At first, it was small gestures like touching my leg or running a hand down my arm. Then she started groping me. You can guess how it progressed after that."

"What did your dad do?" I asked him. I knew I wasn't supposed to speak, but he seemed like a nice person when I met him. I didn't want to be disappointed by knowing that he didn't do anything.

"He continued to sleep with her," he spat.

For a second, I forgot to breathe. What type of person could do that to their child?

"Did Cassius and-"

"They would've hated him," Rowan cut me off.

"For very good reasons," I retorted.

He shook his head. "Cass worships the ground he walks on," he said.

"But you're her brother and she cares a lot about you," I responded.

"It's been eight years, it won't change anything that happened," Rowan said, shaking his head.

I decided not to argue with him. "So, what happened to the therapist?" I asked.

He looked at me. "I killed her."

I sat there in stunned silence. From his actions since I've been here, I don't know why I was surprised. His gaze didn't waver and neither did the faint look of happiness in his eyes when he said those words.

"And you feel good about that?" I asked.

He nodded. "Of course," he responded. "I don't regret it. She took advantage of me, Scarlett, so I killed her."

"Does anyone know?" I asked.

Rowan shook his head.

I stared at him.

"But, you already know this," he said as he continued to look down on me.

I squirmed in my seat under his scrutinizing eyes.

There was nothing behind them. I couldn't guess what he was thinking. I didn't know what he was about to do.

"You're testing me, Scarlett. Why?" he asked, leaning forward.

"I just want you to talk to me," I said honestly. "Saying things out loud helps you come to terms with things better."

He eyed me for a moment longer. "We've come a long way, Scarlett, you and I."

"It'll be a year in four months," I said in agreement.

"If I-"

He was cut off by a message from his phone. He turned around a picked it up. "It's Cassius, I have to go," he said, grabbing his suit jacket.

"Is everything alright?" I questioned, standing up as well.

Instead of answering, he walked past me. "You should go to bed. It's after midnight," he said instead.

I followed him out of the room and down the hall. "I'm not a child, Rowan, I can take care of myself," I retorted.

I heard him chuckle slightly as he bounced down the stairs. I followed closely behind.

"This isn't funny, let me go with you," I protested.

He sighed loudly and turned around, causing me to smack into his back. "Ouch," I whispered, rubbing my nose.

"I want you here, safe," he said, dapping my nose with his finger.

I scrunched it and looked down at his finger before swatting it away. He chuckled again before ruffling my hair and walking off.

I followed Rowan to the door like a lost puppy and watched as he grabbed a random set of keys from the line of them he had hanging on the wall by the door.

Clearing his throat, he turned around again. "Bed, now," he said, kissing my cheek.

I jumped at the certain gesture. "I don't want to stay home, I want to go with you," I argued, placing my hands on my hips.

He shook his head and opened the door. "I'll be home by morning and we can sit down and have a good breakfast like normal people," he said with a small smile. 

I snorted. "We're far from normal," I retorted.

There was something behind his eyes that made me not believe him. What was he about to do?

His small smile turned into a huge grin. "I'll be back," he replied before walking out and shutting the door.

I stood there, stunned and the entire evening.

From me finding the files, to us running into a Victoria doppelganger at the restaurant. And now, Rowan was opening up to me.

I smiled and jogged up the stairs and to my room.

Flopping down on the bed, I sighed and stared at the ceiling.

In four months, it will be a year that I have been with Rowan. It will be a year that I've been away from my parents, my shop, my school.

Rowan took me away from my life. But, I kind of enjoyed being in his.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First off, I would like to thank you guys so, so much for getting me to 5K on Criminally Insane! And thank you new people so much for adding this to your reading list!

I've been away for four months, but now I am back! School is out and I'm back to it. Cheers to a crappy, unrevised chapter!

New update coming before the end of the week!

~djdiamondmind1738