Electric Slide

"Would you like something to eat?" Rowan asked me.

He had been a total gentleman the last three days I have been in the hospital. I don't know if that was because we were in a public environment or because he was genuinely worried about me.

The night after we slept together, I decided to speak to him.

We had small conversations and I learned more about his job.

The only conversation we hadn't touched was his personal life. Not that I asked about it, but he just didn't seem like the type of person who wanted to touch those kind of topics.

We were actually starting to get along. I didn't hear from Grace or Colton, and he never touched those subjects either.

If he didn't shoot me, then he had to have shot Colton.

All of the calls Rowan has been taking has been from work or some unknown person. For the unknown person, he would walk out of the room and come back in pissed.

I would touch his hand, and he would calm down.

It was funny; the affect I had on him.

But he wouldn't let me go so it couldn't have had that much of an affect on him.

At night we slept together and he would spoon me. It was a bit uncomfortable because the bed was much smaller than him, but he gave me most of the room.

At night, I would think about Grace.

How many times had he done this with her?

Why hasn't she stopped by?

Not that she was ever nice to me, but I did have a tendency to care for everyone's feelings. She did not deserve to be embarrassed the way he did her.

Did she hate me?

"Go to sleep, Scar," I heard Rowan mumbled on my last night in the hospital.

I loved my little nickname. Everyone used to call me 'Lettie' and I hated it because it sounded old.

'Scar' gave me Lion King vibes and I actually liked the name.

He called me Scar and I liked it.

"I was sleeping before you spoke."

I felt his breath on the back of my neck as he chuckled, tightening his grip around my waist.

I felt my face flush.

"I can hear your heart beating."

I scoffed playfully. "No you can't."

He chuckled lazily. "I can practically feel the electrical impulses that trigger your heartbeat, baby," he mumbled.

I stopped breathing.

Why did that sound sexy?

"Y-you know a lot about the heart," I whispered, my eyes flickering through the darkness trying to make out objects that weren't flickering lights.

"I know a lot about what I spend a lot of time with," he said.

That sent chills down my back. Not the good kinds.

"Why do you do it?"

My eyes widened as I bit my lip from the question I just asked.

It was silent for quite some time.

"These men murdered my mother," he said so quiet that if I wasn't directly under him, I wouldn't have heard him.

I was sure my heart stopped beating for good minute because his answer wasn't what I expected. "W-what?" I stammered before squeezing my eyes shut because I was mentally facepalming myself for being so stupid.

"Seven men drugged my mom," he said in a voice a notch louder than before.

I placed my hand on top of his hand that was draped over the side of my waist.

My heart was hammering against my rib cage. I struggled to search for words to say.

Not the sympathy card. This isn't how my story was supposed to go.

I was supposed to be different.

"Do you know who they are?" I pushed.

"I do now," he responded. "But they're in hiding. They know someone is coming after them, they don't know who and I can't let them find out."

I sighed.

"They shot her up with a dozen of drugs and took their turns with every hole in her body," he said. I held my breath as his grip tightened around his waist.

I blinked, waiting for him to continue. "I'm so sorry. I-"

"I am so sick of hearing that from people that had nothing to do with it," he spat.

I sat up, despite his grip around me. "You don't have to kill these men, there's-"

"There is no other way," he said cut me off.

We couldn't see each other in the darkness but I'm sure we both looked furious.

"So you want revenge?" I asked. "Your revenge is by killing these men who hurt your mom?"

"They didn't hurt her, they tortured and killed her."

I was quiet for several minutes as I thought over his words. It was obvious he was close to his mother. I couldn't relate, so it was hard for me to understand him.

"Rowan, how many men have you killed?"

"Two." His answer was immediate. Almost as if he'd been waiting for someone to ask him that question.

"Was Gregg Selks one of them?"

"Yes," was his short answer. For the rest of the night, he didn't say another word.

I was sure I pissed him off, but there had to be a way to get legal justice. I was an activist for the justice system. I believed in cops even though they showed up thirty days late with sixty ambulances and fire trucks in the movies.

"I'm sorry," I whispered before sinking back down into my pillow. His body was faced the opposite way by the time I actually fell asleep. When I woke up, he was not there.

I sighed.

*******************************************

Another unedited Chapter! This is Part 20 (I think) of the Criminally Insane book. Depending on how many reads I get, and how the story ends, I might turn it into a series. So tell your friends to check this out so I can reach 10K by the end of the year!
Anyways....

Finally some intake on his side of the story. I had a conversation with a friend and she said that revenge is not the answer. Murder is still murder and you don't solve a murder with a murder. I agreed and disagreed but only because I love my male character and I accept him as his damaged self.

So we got a little character development, let's move this story along, shall we!

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT GUYS! I FELT LIKE YOU DESERVED TWO CHAPTERS IN ONE DAY EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE SHORT!
~djdiamondmindmind1738