Spoons

Being unconscious doesn't necessarily mean you're going to see a white light that convinces you to go back to the real world.

If you're deep enough in your sleep, you can't even hear or feel.

Or maybe, people have different experiences.

Yeah.

I awoke to the sound of beeping machines just like anyone else would after being transported to a hospital after slipping into unconsciousness.

"You're awake," a familiar voice said.

I pretended to sleep a little longer.

"Your finger moved," she spoke again.

I opened my eyes to see Grace sitting in the chair beside my hospital bed.

"Where's Rowan?" I asked. My voice was hoarse from dehydration.

"Right here," a deeply accented voice said.

I turned my head to the side and tried to ignore the blinding spots I was seeing.
It felt like the room was spinning.

"Take it slow, Scar," he said as he placed a hand on my arm.

I looked at Grace to ask her for a glass of water, but decided against it when I saw the hard look on her face as she stared at his hand on my arm.

He was hers.

I was just here for some sort of sick pleasure he had created in his mind.

I moved my arm closer to my side and looked away from him.

Through my peripheral vision, I saw his jaw tick.

Once.

Twice.

His hand balled into a fist for a millisecond.

When his jaw ticked once more, I averted my full gaze at him to see him looking at Grace.

The awkward silence was haunting me as they had some sort of angry stare-off.

"Out."

His voice was cold and hard. His face was empty of any expression or emotion.

"What?" she asked.

His jaw ticked again.

He was hot. And I'm talking about attitude wise only.

"Get out," he repeated in a louder tone. He placed a hand on my arm again, causing me to flinch.

"Rowan," I whispered. He looked down on me, gaze softening slightly. "Don't be rude."

He rolled his eyes and removed his hand, sighing loudly before nodding. "Get out, please," he spat, emphasizing 'please.'

I scoffed at his mocking tone as Grace gathered her things.

"Fuck you, Rowan," she hissed before storming out of the small room.

"What are you doing?" I asked him once she was gone.

"Making sure you're okay," he replied innocently.

I laid my head against the pillow and stared at the ceiling.

"Do you need anything?" I could hear the worry in his voice.

I shook my head, no longer wanting water. I didn't have an appetite for anything at the moment.

I thought back to the last thing I remembered. Two gunshots.

"The doctor said you most likely passed out from either pain or a state of shock," he spoke after several seconds of silence.

I swallowed. "I was sure I was dead."

I heard two gunshots before everything went black. I thought I was a gone.

"I could never kill you. I'd do anything for you," he said softly, sitting down in the chair next to me.

I averted my gaze to the other side where Grace once sat. "Let me go," I said quietly.

"What?" he asked standing up.

"I want to go home," I responded, tears forming in my eyes.

I knew it was a long shot, but I had to try. I really wanted to go. This had gotten drawn out for too long. As much as I didn't speak to my family, I knew they'd be worried by now. It's been some weeks. If his plan was for me to absorb some feelings for him, he was going to be disappointed.

"I can't," he spoke, sitting back down.

I was snapped out of my thoughts.

"I'll never speak to you again until you let me go," I said, looking away from him once again.

I was going to truly hate him this time. He always found a way for me to come back to liking him and finding him tolerable.

But not this time.

"Yes, you will," he spoke, standing up once again.

I was beginning to wonder if he had ADHD.

"Scarlett."

His voice was loud, but he wasn't yelling, nor did he sound angry.

I honestly just wanted to sleep again. Sleeping had become my resort for escape.

"Scarlett," he repeated a little louder this time.

Third times a charm. Doesn't mean you're going to get an answer though.

"Scarlett," he yelled. His voice boomed, causing me to flinch, but I did not answer him.

"For fucks sake," he hissed.

I felt his hands and arms under my body as he lifted me up causing me to yelp.

He slid into the bed next to me and put his arm over my waist.

"What are you doing? Are you crazy?" I hissed, clearly pissed.

He smirked. "I'm surprised you're just now catching on, Scar," he said.

I mentally slapped myself for talking to him.

I hated him.

"Sleep," he mumbled, wrapping his arms around me tighter.

Someone with such a cold heart for people had a warm heart for me.

And a warm body for me.

And throughout all of this chaos, I felt safe with him.

I shouldn't but I did.

*******************************************

Are we finally having a character breakthrough? I think we are. I'm going to speed things up a bit so stay tuned!