Silent Treatment

After taking my shades off, I placed them on the table and crossed my legs, looking forward with pursed lips.

He sighed. "Can I touch you?"

Silence.

If I wasn't ignoring him, I would've scoff. How dare he ask a such thing.

"How long will this be continuing?" he asked another question.

Silence.

It was so quiet, you could hear the scattered chatters of the people on the other side of the door.

Before he could open his mouth to speak, a waiter walked into the room.

He had dark hair and wore an expensive looking black and white suit. He smiled as his eyes landed on us.

Awe, he was so adorable with his boyish grin. He had to have been nineteen or twenty. His green eyes were bright.

"Hola, mi nombre es Jose y seré tu mesero esta tarde," he said cheerfully, bringing a notepad out of his apron pocket.

The only words I understood from that sentence were 'Hola' and 'Jose'.

I really should've taken Professor McGuire up on those private language lessons.

Rowan nodded and side-eyed me.

I gave José a gentle smile.

He smiled back and placed down the menus that I didn't recognize he was holding under his arm.

"Quieres empazer con algun aperitivo?" he asked.

I stared at him blankly because I didn't know what he was saying.

"Would you like anything? An appetizer?" Rowan asked me.

The confusion José had on his face was priceless. It was the same expression on my face whenever someone spoke Spanish.

"Si," I spoke to the waiter only.

He nodded.

"Que te gustaria tener como aperitivo?"

I feel like this was a setup. Rowan knew I had a very basic understanding of Spanish, yet, he brought me to one of the worst places on Earth!

I had no choice but to speak to him.

"What do you want to eat?" Rowan asked me.

I looked down at the menu. Lobster salad. Pfft, we had that back in America. I didn't know what the money conversion would be, but it seemed to be more expensive over here.

I turned my menu around so that he would be able to read it and pointed to the lobster salad.

He nodded, writing it down.

Glancing at Rowan, I caught him just in time to see him rolling his eyes. "Traeme la sopa de mariscos," he said.

José wrote it down and nodded. "Volvere con sus aperitivos , en breve," he responded with a polite small before shoving his notepad into his pocket and walking out of the room.

I sighed in content as the room was presently silent.

My phone pinged, and I whipped it out figuring it was either Heather or Lily.

Sure enough, it was both. One of them had put us in a group chat.

Heather: So, what's the tea?

Before I could answer, my phone was snatched from me and thrown across the room.

"What the-"