Museums and Fake Smiles

"Alexa, play Billie Eilish."

"Playing Billie Eilish radio station."

The speaker chirped as deep music soared throughout the dark room.

Now you'll never see me cry. There's just no time to die.

A lonesome tear escaped my eyes as I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. Melancholy music played from the random speaker I'd found in the drawers of this room. A room I've been in for about two months already. I had no idea. I've honestly lost track of time.

Besides the clock on the wall, I had no way of knowing time. I also didn't care to know.

I had no phone, no type of electronic. He didn't trust me enough to give me such a handy device.

The event was tomorrow, and I'd brushed up on my dancing skills thanks to Rowan. Today, he was demanding one last practice.

I threw one leg over the side of my bed and sighed one my foot came in contact with the plush carpet.

Throwing the other leg over the bed, I stood up and sighed again. "Let's get this over with," I whispered to myself.

I met Rowan in the dance room. He was there- dressed in dark red and black. His hair was groomed, and another one of his watches decorated his wrist to flash his wealthiness.

"We're going to dance to music you know, today," he said as he acknowledged my presence.

All of his music sounded like it was from a foreign opera show. I didn't understand the language, and didn't care to.

He resided in Spain, but his accent was strong with another native language. At first, I thought it was Romanian or Russian. Now, I was unsure. From the business calls he took, I learned that he spoke more than one language. With me, he only used English.

"You must be from a museum because you truly are a work of art," he said, snatching me away from my thoughts.

I didn't understand why he tried to make me smile.

I gave him my best fake smile, and loud music blasted from the speakers, causing me to jump.

No you don't have to wear your best fake smile.

My eyes narrowed into slits as my favorite song blasted through the speakers.

Rowan Hanse was a fucking idiot.

He turned away from me and when he turned back around, he had on a pair of shades. He ran his hands through his hair. "Whoo!" he screamed as a huge smile crossed his face. He snapped his fingers and nodded his head along to the music.

No hesitation now, she gets up and walks.

"What are you doing?" I yelled over the music as he walked towards me.

"Loosen up, Scarlett," he says. His accent is strong as the day he walked into my diner, but playfulness took over.

I bobbed my head to the music a little as I watched him dance.

Who is he, and where is my psychopath?

"I don't dance," I screamed over the music.

"You will today," he said as he grabbed my hand.

Nobody needs a best fake friend.

The guitar sounds blasted through the speakers and I watch as Rowan strums on his fake guitar.

He looked free. If this was his normal, I wouldn't have minded being held captive. "Whoo!" he screamed again.

He turned to me and took his shades off, extending his arm out to me. I took the shades from him and slid them on my face.

"Dance," he shouted. I laughed a little and danced with him. "There you go."
I rolled my eyes at him and laughed a little, forgetting everything for a moment.

I watched him and tried to keep up with his crazy moves. Rowan was a damn good dancer.
Soon, the song ended and seconds later, a new one started.

"Hold back the river, let me look in your eyes," he sang when the chorus hit.

"You know James Bay?" I asked him. At first, I thought Best Fake Smile was a coincidence.

He grabbed my hands and spun me around. I felt my hair flying all over my head. "I'll get dizzy," I squealed as he picked me up and spun me.

He then let me go and snapped his fingers along to the beat of the guitars and music. He did a snake-like move where he moved side to side whilst snapping his fingers.

I followed his movements and he laughed. "There you go," he said.

I ran my hands through my hair and rolled my eyes at him.

"One day, they're going to get stuck, Scarlett," he said, a playful grin already on his face.

I did a drum roll before spinning on my toes. "Hold back the river, so I can stop for a minute and be by your side," I sang at the top of my lungs.

For this second, I felt free. It felt so good. The music ceased as I spun one last time before remembering where I was.

Rowan probably noticed the quick shift in my mood because his face fell as well.

Everything was quiet again and I took the shades off and looked away from him.

"Would you like something to eat?" he asked me.

I turned around to him and shrugged lightly.

"Let's go," he said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I gave him his shades back and rose an eyebrow.

"Let's go where?" I asked in confusion.

"Hell, if we don't pray," he murmured causing me to laugh slightly.

A murderer was making heaven and hell jokes. Oh, the irony.

"I'm going to take you to my favorite restaurant.

I perked up. "We're going out?"

He nodded his head as we walked out of the ballroom and down the hall. "Out." There was something in his tone that told me he was uneasy about the idea.

"What's the catch?"

He shrugged his shoulders. Nothing was this simple with Rowan, and even an idiot would know that. "I just wanna' see you in better lighting."

"I'm not a science experiment," I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest. We walked down the stairs of his mansion.

He tensed slightly before rolling shoulders and clearing his throat.

"Go get dressed and be ready in an hour, or I will leave you here."

With that, he was gone.

"Wow," I mumbled before racing back up the stairs.

*****~****~*****~******~*****~*****~****
So, we got a little happiness and she's finally going out! The next chapter will be leading off of this and on to the dance if all goes well. My mind shifts as I write so there's no telling. Maybe the next chapter will be the last. Who knows?

Vote, comment, and share. Stay awesome!

~djdiamondmind1738(#withlotsofheartstofollow)