October 31, 2012

TRIGGER CHAPTER!TRIGGER CHAPTER!COMMENT!VOTE!

"Thank you for dinner, Scarlett," I heard Santee say.

I finished drying the last dish and put it in the cabinet.

"It's the least I can do," I said, turning around. "You've been so good to me."

"Just helping out a friend in need," he responded.

I was enjoying my time with Santee. He was sweet. He made me breakfast every morning before work. When he came home in the evening, we would go to the park and talk.

I wasn't feeling up to it today, so we didn't go. I decided to make him dinner to make up for it.

Santee took a step towards me. "How about dessert?" he asked, biting his lip.

I smiled at him and nodded my head.

He walked to the freezer and pulled out a tub of ice cream.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Ice cream," I lied.

I was lying by simply being here. I wasn't scared of Rowan anymore, and I wanted to go home.

Home.

Home was with Rowan. That huge, glamorous mansion I'd grown fond of.

"What about ice cream?" he asked me, grabbing two bowls from the cabinet.

It was easy for me to call Rowan's home my own.

I missed him. It felt like he was haunting me.

In the evenings, I feel like he's there; watching me.

At night, he's in my dreams. No matter how much I washed my hair, I could still smell him.

I could hear his voice when he wasn't there.

When I closed my eyes, I could see his dimples every time he smiled.
I believed that Rowan was actually haunting me.

"Scarlett?"

I jumped, looking up. I had been staring at the tub of ice cream for the longest. I immediately felt bad because he was talking this entire time and I wasn't listening.

"I'm sorry," I said in my sincerest voice.

He nodded and scooped some ice cream into a bowl for me. "You can always go back," he told me. "I'm not the one holding you hostage."

As if my guilt couldn't get any worse, I hung my head in shame.

"Can I go back tomorrow?" I asked him, raising my head.

He gave me a small smile, but disappointment was in his eyes. "Of course," he said, closing the tub of ice cream.

"Wait, you're not eating any?" I asked, turning around in my seat to watch him put the tub back in the freezer.

He shook his head. "I lost my appetite," he said with another smile. "Enjoy yours though."

I returned his smile.

Before I could speak, his phone rang.

I ate my ice cream in silence while he took the call.

After a few seconds, he hung up. "Mierda," he mumbled.

"Is everything okay?" I asked as I watched him look around frantically while patting his pockets.

"There was an emergency at Mr. Hanse's office," he responded.