Ju-Kyu

Terumi's dead... Hatsu's dead... And so does Tukiko... I still can't believe this! Jin Toyohiko (Female Student No. 14) thought. Jin was up in the central mountain, - the highest one - thinking of everything she witnessed more than 12 hours ago. She saw everything, from when they drank the innocent-looking pond until their gruesome death. Her stomach felt weak everytime she remembered it. She didn't want to meet the killer. She knew she's in for danger if she meets the killer. She didn't hear who killed the three clearly, but she knew it was a guy. The killer was one of her male classmates. Whoever he was, he most certainly saw Jin. He maybe even tracking her down since she avoided his trap. Her sector, B=3 wasn't announced to be a danger zone in the following hours, and she was somehow relieved that the danger zones during the 1st report will be removed. But, she knew it doesn't change anything. She was still at great risk of dying. It was already evening. The moon rose from the night sky and casted a soft glow upon the blood-ridden island. Heaven and earth are two different places. Heaven is beautiful, blissful and floaty and earth is a miserable, gloomy and scary place. You would think more of this especially when you're in the Program. 

   She kept rummaging on her bag, wishing that her weapon, a chisel, would change into some awesome gun or something like that. What would she do with a chisel? Yes, she was on a mountain. A mountain is filled with rocks and soil and with a chisel, you can carve out statues. Oh, how about carving a tombstone with the chisel? Or make an earthen coffin perhaps?

   Wait, I'm getting into stupid things, Jin thought. As much as she want to stay sane and stable, the more she falls for it. And she kept thinking that the killer may be spying on her right now. No, no, no. That couldn't be. She presumed the killer's weapon is poison itself, and there are no water sources around her except for her water bottles. So the best way to ensure she drinks clean and pure water is to always sling the bag to her back. You never know, when you're asleep, the killer will put poison in the water without you noticing it. Not sleeping throughout the game is crazy. She shrugged off the latter as it sounded way too out of a human's league. She'll just end up even more insane when she keeps her eyes open. She's not that desperate. She still knows how to act like a human. Well, she IS a human. Sleeping is a must for humans. She just have to secure her things while she is sleeping. 

   But... Where to sleep?

   She looked around. A few trees rose from the grassy mountain ground. If she could just climb the trees, she can sleep there, risk-free... somehow. But she didn't know how to climb a tree. She'll just fall off. One time she climbed a tree, she fell and nearly broke her leg. She swore not to climb one ever again, even if it is a life-saver from poisoning classmates. 

   She heard a shuffling sound. It was followed by three more shuffling sounds in succession. She quickly stood up from her cross sitting position, listening intently at the sounds. It came from the trees further up from her. She slowly walked back. What if... its the killer?

   Dark figures appeared from behind the trees. They had pleated skirts. One of them had long hair which was curled up at the end, one had short messy hair which reached the nape and one had hair in pigtails. She presumed they were all girls, as none of her male classmates had hairstyles like that. But she can't help thinking: what if I heard wrong? What if it isn't a boy who killed Terumi and the others?

   One of the girls pointed their finger at her. A familiar voice said, "Hey, its Jin!"

   It came from one of her close friends, Chizuru Satonako (Female Student No. 23). Their figures were lit by the moonlight, showing their faces. Chizuru was the one with short messy hair. A hairclip secured her bangs. The one with the curled up hair was Dai Kurosu (Female Student No. 18) and the one with pigtails was Eriko Fukurotomo (Female Student No. 27). From the looks of their faces, they were relieved to see her. Jin, too, also felt relieved. At least the three of them were her friends, especially Chizuru.

   They walked up to her as Eriko said, "Yeah, it is her! Thank goodness!"

    Chizuru even hugged her really tight. Jin felt really great for a moment. "O-oh, thank goodness too it was just you three," Jin said as her lips trembled.

    Dai asked her, "What's wrong? You seem pale and shaky."

    Oh great, my fright of the killer is so obvious now. 

    She answered, "Um... Its because of Terumi, Hatsu and Tukiko..."

    Chizuru's eyes widened, "You're with them when they died!?"

    Jin nodded and explained everything from how they met up until how Terumi and the others got poisoned to death. The three listened with a bit of fear. Eriko laid her hand on Jin's shoulder and said in a comforting voice, "Its alright. We're here with you. We'll get the killer, we promise." She turned to Chizuru and Dai. "Ain't that right?"

   Dai nodded and Chizuru followed.

   Eriko turned back to Jin and said, "Look, the place we are now is pretty out in the open and the others might find us here. Luckily, we found an old mine shaft down at the base of the mountain. Care to come with us?"

   A mine shaft would do for a hiding place as long as she's safe and secure. She quickly nodded and the other smiled in reply. 

   Eriko said to her, "Well, c'mon. We're going to spend a little dinner with each other and think this through, okay?"

   Chizuru, Dai and Eriko retraced their steps back as Jin followed them in a very close distance. Jin let out a sigh of relief. At the very least, I still have friends who are willing to team up with me. Who knows, I may get out of this game alive.

23 Students Remaining