San

The deafening sound of an alarm blared throughout the building. Engine-like sounds can be heard from the outside. At that moment, Natsumi Nichiya (Female Student No. 13) opened her eyes and slowly lifted her head from the hard wood-like surface she was resting on. Upon getting a clearer look on the surface, she realized it was a wooden floor. Dim lights illuminated the place. She turned her head to her right and saw her classmates slowly getting up to the sound of the alarm, including her friends Matsui Yano (Female Student No. 12) and Ume Kotobuki (Female Student No. 25). She turned her head to her left and saw the rest of the boys, including Atsushi Mori (Male Student No. 5) and Aoi Torio (Male Student No. 8).

   She turned her head again, this time to the front of the somehow room as there was a floor. That's when she felt a cold sensation in her neck. She used her right hand to reach for it and realized someone had put a metallic-like necklace around her neck. She looked at her classmates again, and saw the same necklaces too. The alarm stopped at an instant and around that time, everyone of them were already standing on their feet.

   A whispering can be heard around the room.

   "W-where are we...?"

   "Are we at the place yet?"

   "What time is it?"

   "Why is it so dark?"

   "What's happening?"

   "What in the blazes are we doing on the floor?"

   And it continued, growing louder every second.

   Natsumi rushed for Matsui and Ume, who kept still and quiet. She asked them, "Are you alright, guys?"

   "Um, yeah. Kinda weird feeling though..." Ume said. Matsui nodded in agreement.

   Their conversation was cut short by a knock on the door at the far right of the room. A sliding sound can be heard, followed by footsteps, then another, and another, and another. One of them flicked open the lights at the front, revealing a worn-out wall with peeling white paint and dust that clinged to it. It also revealed a few people, with varying heights and body sizes. Most of them were muscular, with only one being rather fat. 

   One of them stepped up from the row. He was around in his fifties, had short messy black hair and wore of what would seem like a soldier's outfit, only that the jacket was opened from top to bottom of the zipper. In fact, everyone who entered the room wore the same outfit. He smiled and said, "Welcome, third year Class A of Fukushiwa High School."

   "And who might you be, commando?" Daisuke Ameyama (Male Student No. 1) sniggered. He was beside Jiro Shimeji (Male Student No. 9) who also joined his little laugh.

   The man didn't seem annoyed. He even smiled at him. "I see. You're the type who would be brought to the prefect of discipline's office for being rude to your teacher."

   Daisuke's eyes widened. "And should I care?"

   The man reached for his pocket. Jiro immediately punched Daisuke lightly in his arm, signalling him not to continue further.

   The man smiled again. "Good thing you have your friend with you or else I would've ripped that mouth of your face."

   Some of them began to whisper upon hearing those words. The man quickly noticed this and said in a louder voice, "Will everyone keep their gaps shut? I would like to orient you all first... the easy way."

   Aoi Torio raised his hand and spoke in his unmatured male voice, "Um... can I ask something?"

   The man replied, "Go ahead."

   Aoi began to become tensed, but continued, "Where are we? Who are you? What are we doing here?"

   "You will know once you let me speak thoroughly."

   "Um... okay."

   "But, before that, everyone, please sit down on the floor this instant."

   Some sat down while some began to hesitantly.

   The man shouted, "I said this instant!" That hit the spot. Everyone sat down quickly.

   "Now, first, I would like to introduce myself. I am Mr. Okamatsu Tatsumi, your facilitator."

   Daisuke butted in, "Facilitator? Of what?"

   Okamatsu glared at him. "I said, let me speak thoroughly. This is your last warning, boy." Daisuke kept quiet at once, his face with mixed fear and anger.

  "We are all located on Sorashima, an island off the coast of the mainland. This island was once inhabited, but since this place is the perfect place for an activity like this, we made the people living here to flee and move to a new home. Now, you are all wondering why we brought you here. It is because..."

   Everyone nearly gulped at the same time, waiting for Okamatsu's answer. The room fell into dead silence. Then, he continued.

  "Congratulations. You are all going to participate in this year's Battle Royale, most commonly know n as the 'Program'.", he said with a smile that turned creepy and maniacal. Everyone gasped at his announcement. Them? Participants in the Program? No, no, no. They're a bunch of innocent students who knew nothing about killing. How did they know what was the goal? They heard rumors, reports and the like. It was something they feared when they entered third year high school. It was a nightmare.

   "You're not serious, are you?" Matsui Yano asked, who was now trembling with Ume Kotobuki.

   "I am dead serious, little girl", Okamatsu said, "You are the lucky participants."

    Lucky? What a bunch of bullshit. What's this guy thinking? Everyone moved away from him as far as they can, but the men behind Okamatsu, who were soldiers, aimed their guns at them, threatening to kill them right before the game starts.

    "Now, I will open the directions of the game with this quotation: 'Kill or be killed.'"

39 Students Remaining