Chapter 19 - Dancing around the kitchen in the refrigerator light

Narrator's POV

Pitch darkness.

Y/N stared up at the ceiling and that was the only thing she saw, absolutely nothing but darkness.

It wasn't that she wasn't tired, but... she just didn't dare to fall asleep. Sighing to herself, she glanced over at Lauren. The girl was sleeping peacefully, her calm breathing filled the deafening silence in the room. She reached over and gently ran her hand along Lauren's hair, barely touching it-- No, she's not doing this now.

She wasn't even sure what she was telling herself no to, but she just shouldn't. I mean, what happened a couple of hours ago probably just blurred out whatever was left of the line between them. This is not what PR couples are supposed to do. Her stomach wasn't supposed to be filled with this stupid warm fuzzy feeling either. She knew that Lauren was only in it for the money and fame this relationship brings her, so what even was she doing? She's done so many fake relationships in the past, how did she still manage to get herself in this situation.

No matter how stupid falling for this dark-haired girl was making her feel, she could also see Lauren isn't half as bad as she first thought she was.

This girl actually cared about her and... that's something would need time to get used to.

She turned to lie sideways, facing the sleeping girl and sighed softly. 'Why do you gotta make it so hard for me to not fall for you further?' she whispered to Lauren. Inching a tiny tiny bit closer, she let her eyes dip close. 

-

Lauren slowly stirred awake at the whimpers coming from beside her. Peeking under her eyelids, she saw Y/N's head very very close to hers, her face was all scrunched up though. "Wake up," she called out in a low voice to not startle her too much.

Y/N furrowed her eyebrows deeper as her eyes remained screwed shut. "N-No, don't die. P-Please... Wake up. N-No..." Her nightmares were haunting the shit out of her again. However, this might be one of the fewer times where her sleep talking actually spilled her beans. She clutched hard onto the blankets and unconsciously snuggled closer to the other girl, the tears that were welling in her eyes started rolling down her cheeks. "H-Help."

Lauren wrapped her arms around the Y/E/C-eyed girl in a tight hug and put her chin on top of her head. "Shh, it's alright. You're fine now."

"Help..."

The dark-haired girl started to panic as well as she thought of ways she could help her. "I'm trying to help. Wait." Disappointingly enough, the superstar didn't wait for her help and started sobbing quietly to herself as her sleep talking became more erratic too. And then the lightbulb in Lauren's head lit up. Singing. The last two times she sang to the Y/E/C-eyed girl, she seemed to calm down from her panic attack or nightmare or whatever it is that she was experiencing. Okay, song. A song.

"When the pain cuts you deep... and the nights keep you from sleeping..." Lauren started off carefully. Her voice wasn't even open yet and had this unusual rasp in it and was even softer than normally, but that's fine, it was literally 4 AM so it doesn't gotta be perfect. The Y/E/C-eyed girl didn't seem to have much of a reaction though, so Lauren shuffled even closer to her and gently cupped her face in her hands. "Just look and you will see, that I will be your remedy." She wiped away her tears with the pad of her thumbs, seeing Y/N frowning a little less now. "When the world seems so cruel, and your heart makes you feel like a fool. I promise you will see that I will be, I will be your remedy."

Lauren continued to hum until the superstar slowly but surely calmed down from her breakdown. She actually didn't think it would work for real but it did, and... she gotta say she's really surprised by that. "Y/L/N, wake up," she whispered softly as she caressed her cheeks again.