Chapter 22 - Just smile and wave

Narrator's POV

"You guys are so fucking late, go get ready!"

Lauren and Y/N didn't even get a chance to explain themselves and were pushed straight to their own separate dressing rooms. I mean, even though it was a very valid explanation, the superstar's team really couldn't care less that they were late because she was too busy having a mental breakdown. The thing they were more concerned about is that now they had to spend more time in making her look presentable, with the time pressure already breathing down their necks. 

It was impossible to keep up what was happening all around, but about half an hour later, Lauren entered Y/N's dressing room, having just finished her look for tonight. "Hi," she greeted shyly. 

A round of hey's and hellos was heard in the room. Y/N shook herself out of her trance and turned around to give her a soft smile. Subconsciously, her eyes travelled down the gorgeous dress that Lauren was wearing. It fitted her really well, and it surely was a change from her usual flannels and jeans look. She tilted her head to one side and leaned back in her seat, in awe of how beautiful Lauren looked. Sure, she was well-aware of how beautiful the girl was, but seeing her still amazed her from time to time. "Wow..." Her hand lightly ran along the fabric of Lauren's dress. "So pretty."

"Oh, shut up." Lauren turned away bashfully. She wasn't used to this, and she had a feeling that she was going to get this feeling more than once tonight. She's only ever dreamed of walking a red carpet, and now she was going to walk a real one, among actual famous musicians, with her famous 'girlfriend'. That did not sound real. And she didn't mean it in a good way, she found this terrifying, but she's only got so much of a choice. 

Y/N noticed her expression and slipped out of her seat. She placed her finger under Lauren's chin to tilt her head up. "It's going to be alright, I'll be by your side throughout the whole thing," she reassured. "You look great, you're amazing, the people are going to love you, and if they don't, I will fight them."

Lauren just chuckled. They remained standing face to face, with barely a foot between them. Her eyes were staring deeply into those Y/E/C-coloured ones in front of her, scanning her expression. Hardly a trace of sadness was left behind them as if she had never bawled her eyes out merely an hour ago. It scared Lauren, just how easily this superstar could hide her emotions. She just looked so empty yet somehow there was a twinkle of what seemed like to be adoration, sparkling in those eyes. She wanted to ask her if she was alright, but all her words were caught in her throat with how she was looking at her right now. It made her feel special in a way she's never felt before and, she was surprised she hasn't melted to the floor yet. 

It might've taken her a ridiculously long time, but she thinks she was starting to see the beauty behind all the facade this superstar had around her. What she felt for her was long past just mere curiosity, she was slowly starting to see all of her flaws but also all the good in her that she's tried to hide. If you told her this months ago, she would've thought you were out of your mind, but not only was she beginning to get used to being in a 'relationship' with Y/N, but she was starting to like it as well. 

Of course, the Y/E/C-eyed girl had to break their little moment. "You know, I've waited for so long for you to look at me like this," she said. 

"Hmm, like what?"

Y/N stayed staring at her for another second, almost like she was trying to find any sort of confirmation. "Like... I'm the hottest motherfucker on Earth," she answered with her signature smirk. Her original thought died in her mind just like that. 'Like you were finally falling for me.' How embarrassing was that to admit, especially when there was absolutely no way that was happening.