Chapter 7 - Late night sleepover

Narrator's POV

"I can't believe that they let you sleepover after the shenanigans you've pulled earlier tonight," Lauren complained as she hugged the blanket closer to her. 

Y/N averted her eyes from the TV and chuckled. "What shenanigans? I was just complimenting them. Nothing wrong with making a girl feel flattered," she said with a nonchalant shrug.

The two of them were currently sitting together on the tiny couch in the living room, watching some TV show. The superstar really kept herself to that promise and hadn't made a single inappropriate comment again throughout dinner. And surprisingly, she knows how to hold a conversation with someone without being flirtatious or sounding condescending. She and her sisters got along pretty well, weirdly enough. 

And, well, she certainly gets along better with her sisters than with her. 

Because they had so much to chat about, the conversations just kept rolling and suddenly it was 10 PM. The sisters felt bad to send her home so late and make her drive alone for an hour, so they offered the couch for her to pass the night. 

"Why are you being so friendly with them?" Lauren asked suspiciously. She just didn't see any reason for her to be so nice to her sisters and she also can't imagine this girl being nice to anyone without any ulterior motives. 

Y/N saw that she was actually being serious with her question and laughed again. "Why are you making it sound like I can't be friendly?" she half-joked. 

The dark-haired girl arched up an eyebrow at her. "I can't recall a single time you've been nice to me platonically."

"I just complimented you on your outfit earlier today," the superstar said innocently, throwing her arms out to emphasize her point as if that covers anything else she's said to her. 

"Oh wow, how generous," Lauren remarked with an eye roll before returning her attention back to the TV. She continued to feel Y/N's gaze on her, but she just decided to ignore it. Of course, the Y/E/C-eyed girl didn't give up so easily. She turned to sit sideways and completely faced Lauren, patiently waiting till the girl can't possibly pretend she didn't see her anymore. 

Lauren huffed in annoyance and turned to glare at her, making Y/N smile triumphantly. "What do you want?"

Y/N prompted her elbow on the back of the couch and leaned her head against her palm. The look in her eyes went from playful to something a lot more indescribable. "So why do you hate me so much?" she asked in all seriousness. 

The dark-haired girl felt herself softened under Y/N's gaze and almost felt bad for being so hard on her on the constant. "I never said I hate you," she muttered out. She found it hard to hold eye contact with the girl, but at the same time, she also can't seem to take her eyes off of her. 

Y/N looked her dead in the eye and slowly raised her eyebrows, silently telling her that she should just tell her already and skip the bullshit. 

"I just don't like arrogant people," Lauren finally admitted. 

"Is that really the only thing that's bothering you?"

The dark-haired girl bit her lip before glancing back to the TV again. She fumbled with her shirt and just tried to act like she wasn't feeling extremely nervous right now. She's never confronted anyone like this before and it's not like there's actually something concrete she hated the superstar for. It's mostly just prejudgment from the rumors she's heard. 

"Do you even know what it feels like to have your heart broken?" she settled with at last. 

Y/N titled her head back, clearly taken aback by that question. "Uhm... yeah," she said, not really getting how or why this would be bothering her fake girlfriend. "Why?"