Chapter 21 - The cupboard under the stairs

tw// mention of death and just very depressing in general

Narrator's POV

"Hey... Anybody here?" Lauren's voice echoed through the empty, silent house.

She's pretty sure she was ordered to come here and get Y/N so that they can go and walk their first red carpet together as a couple. When she arrived ten minutes ago though, nobody was answering the doorbell. They've kept surprisingly well to their promise, their new set of boundaries, whatever, and have only hung out when they've been ordered to. She couldn't even remember the last time she's used this key to enter this mansion. 

Sighing to herself, she decided to walk around a bit to check if Y/N was still somewhere in the house or not. She couldn't believe that she was actually being stood up by a worldwide superstar for a date to a big ass award show that some management team had arranged for them.

Wow, that sounded so unbelievable even to her own ears. What was she doing with her life?

Just when she concluded that she really was the only person in this house, she heard some sniffle down the hall. And since it was so quiet in here, those sniffs and cries sounded a bit scarier than they should have. It gave Lauren the creeps, like it was a ghost crying in the walls or something. She was going to regret this, but she carefully walked over to the source of the sound. The cries eventually led her to the area under the stairs.

It was just now that she's noticing that there was a little doorknob here under the stairs

It was just now that she's noticing that there was a little doorknob here under the stairs. Which meant that there was probably someone in that storage room crying right now. If there was even a storage room in there. The possibility that it was a ghost crying was still very much present. 

Or it could also be Y/N pulling a dumb prank on her, just to scare the daylight out of her.

Or it could be a murderer hiding in there, waiting to jump out once she opens the door.

Speak about possibilities.

Lauren didn't know what overcame her, but she found herself twisting that doorknob and opening the door. Her gut feeling was just telling her that it really was the Y/E/C-eyed girl crying in there. And she was correct. Y/N had her face buried in her knees. She looked so small and vulnerable, just sitting there sobbing and hugging herself. She was so consumed with that that she didn't even notice Lauren standing right outside the room.

To be honest, she didn't even know if she could refer to that as a room. By the looks of it, it only consisted of a tiny bed that's basically just placed on top of some wooden crates. There was also a cupboard and a lot of fuses, but that's about it. Yeah, and that old, broken guitar hanging there on the wall. It was such a huge contrast to every other corner in this house. Whereas the whole mansion screamed modern and rich, this... room looked as dull as one could go and it doesn't exactly look livable.

Lauren carefully went to sit down on the bed too and placed a hand on Y/N's knee. "What's wrong?"

The Y/E/C-eyed girl immediately shot up in her spot and quickly wiped away her tears. When she felt the mattress dipping in and the light from outside illuminating the room, she just thought she was dreaming that because no one knew about this part of the house. But looks like someone just had to find out about it. "I'm okay," she mumbled with a slight tremble in her voice. "Why are you here?"