Chapter 4

[A/N] Hello out there! I'm glad you guys like the story! I think I need to switch P.O.V.'s to Niall's for this chapter and maybe the next. Who knows? Anyway, on to Niall's part of the story...

[Niall's P.O.V]

I hang up the phone with Louis and wandered back into the kitchen. However, the boy I had found wasn't in the kitchen anymore. 

"Hey," I call out. 

I hear a whimper in the living room and I walk into the room. The boy sits curled in a ball against the couch seemingly terrified. I slowly walk toward him and he looks up to me with terrified eyes. I lower myself to his level.

"Hey, fella. You gotta name?" I ask.

"Liam," he says it so quietly I almost didn't hear him.

"Well I'm Niall," I reach my arm out to shake his hand.

He cringes away and I pull my hand back. I sigh as I rack my brain on what to do.

"I'm Niall James Horan. I'm originally from Mullingar, Ireland and I moved here four years ago. I have an older brother named Greg," I ramble off.

I had hoped that my ramble would make him ease up a bit. It helped a little.

"I have two best  friends. One's name is Harry Styles. He has really curly hair, green eyes, and he's in my grade. He and my other friend Louis Tomlinson grew up together. Louis has kind of feathery hair and blue eyes."

Liam points to my eyes in a silent question.

"Yeah, blue like mine. But mine are different."

Liam smiles and nods his head.

"We have the same middle name," Liam whispers.

"Do we? Well that's cool."

Liam nods again and sits up. He messes with his hair revealing small puppy ears. I look at them curiously and unconsciously reach my hand towards them. Liam watches my hand as I grow closer.

"Liam, what are those?"

"My ears," he says simply as though that explained everything.

My fingertips graze over them and Liam closes his eyes. They were soft. I petted over them and Liam leaned his head into my hand. I scratched his ears and his leg begin kicking. I burst out laughing as fall backwards. Liam leans over me, looking confused.

"What is funny?" He says, carefully pronouncing the words.

"Your leg started twitching," I giggle.

"It felt good," Liam notes, sheepishly.

I finally control my giggles and my stomach grumbles. Liam jumps back slightly afraid.

"Are you hungry, Li?" The nickname slips out without my permission.

"My name is Liam," he seems confused.

"It's a nickname. Sorry. If you don't like it, I can-"

"No, I like it," he smiles, standing up. "I am hungry... Ni?"

"That's what Louis and Harry call me sometimes."

I return his smile and lead him into the kitchen. I open the fridge to get some food out as he sits down at the table.

"What do you normally eat?"

"Umm, I don't know."

I stop mid-reach for cups and turn to look at him.