Chapter 35

[Zayn's P.O.V.]

I was still in this half dream state. I wasn't dead, I knew that much. Maybe I was in that place that Dad had mentioned before. Limbo was it? Something like that. I sighed as I heard Perrie call out for my again.

"I'm trying, Perr," I said. "I'm trying to get back. I just don't know how."

What had Harry done? He closed his eyes and let Louis bring him back. I let out a loud groan of frustration as I kicked at the nothingness that surrounded me. If I never saw the color white again, it'd be way too soon. I sat down as a new voice joined Perrie's.

"Hi, Zaynie," a older woman's voice said. "It's your mum."

"Hi, mum," I mumbled, knowing she couldn't hear me.

"You have to come back, love. I just got you back. I can't lose you again. Please, sweetheart. Wake up."

"I"m trying!" I yelled out.

Her voice disappeared and I sighed again. I shut my eyes tight as I tried to focus on the new voice that was added to the mix.

"Hey, Z," Liam said. "It's Liam. Well, I guess if you can hear me, you'd probably know that."

A smile forced itself on to my face as I listened to Liam talk.

"Can you come back? Please? Perrie's a mess. She won't eat and she's barely left your side. Your mum finally convinced her to go get some drinks. She needs you, Z. We all do."

Silence washed over the voice of my childhood best friend.

"Harry's awake. He's wandering around in a wheelchair that Louis' is pushing around. They and Niall keep racing the the extra wheelchair that they found," Liam laughed and I smiled. "I took part of the first race but then Louis flung me out of the chair. Kind of hurt my tail."

I laughed as I imagined my friend's terrorizing the hospital residents. I felt a warmth in my hand and I figured Liam had gripped it in his.

"C'mon, Z. Wake up."

"I'm trying, Li," I muttered. "I swear I am."

[Liam's P.O.V.]

"There's been a change in Zayn," Harry says, simply.

Niall and I look at each other as we race to Zayn's room. I reach the door and I find Tricia and Perrie sitting by Zayn's bedside. Perrie doesn't look like she's moved since they got here. They were both talking to Zayn's unconscious body. I hear Harry's laugh as he and Louis race up to us. They reach the room and look inside.

"So what's the change?" Louis blurts out.

"Louis!" Harry scolds.

"What? I'm only curious."

Harry rolls his eyes with a smile as he looks over to his mum, who seems to have joined us.

"He keeps saying a things in his sleep," Anne says.

"Like what?" I ask.

"Mostly names and 'I'm trying,'" Anne looks down to her clipboard then looks to her son. "Harold, what do you think you are doing?"

I look over at Harry and Louis and Louis seems to be popping wheelies with Harry's wheelchair. However, they immediately stop once Anne says something.

"Um," Harry says, looking to Louis, who shrugs.

"Don't terrorize too many people," Anne winks and turns to tend to her duties.