Chapter 6

[A/N] Ello, lovelies! How are you all? I'm fantastic! I saw The Hobbit today and it was bloody brilliant! However, I was unaware they were going to make it a trilogy until after the movie ended. Surprise! Anyway, I suppose I should just get on with my chapter, yeah? Here we gooo...

[Liam's P.O.V.] Surprise!

My heart began racing as I remembered Zayn. I jump up from the table, releasing the blonde boy's hand. A frown crosses his face as my brain starts working faster than my mouth.

"We- we have to go save him! Pl-please!"

"Liam, wait-" Harry tries to say as another thought passes my lips.

"What if he gets hurt because I left?! It'd be all my fault!"

"Liam!" Niall shouts, standing from his seat.

I flinch away as I bring my hands up to shield myself from the beating I'm about to endure from my outburst. But to my surprise, Niall grabs my hands and brings them down to his. He cradles them in his slightly smaller hands as he speaks softly.

"Liam, slow down. Now how about you sit down and explain before you get too ahead of yourself, yeah?"

"Y-yeah," I nod as I slowly sit down again. "S-sorry."

"It's fine, love."

I sigh and look down to my lap. I want to take Niall's hand in mine again. He made me feel safe but I didn't want to weird him out.

"What was your friend's name, Liam?" The curly headed boy asked, softly.

"We grew up together. He was seven months older than I was. He was... He was my friend," I whisper before looking into a pair of friendly, emerald eyes. I begin to regain my voice as I speak again. " Zayn. His name was Zayn Malik."

"Is he part animal like you and me?"

"No," I pause, thinking. "At least, I don't think so. He called Sebastian 'daddy' like the rest of us but he never had the same tests ran on him as the rest of us did."

"So what was he?" The boy with feathery hair asks, curiously.

"I don't know," I say, beginning to doubt that I even had a friend named Zayn. "No, no. He was real. He told me that we'd get out of the lab one day. That we'd escape together."

"But Zayn's still there."

"You think I don't know that?!" I shout at Louis. He flinches away as I continue, "You think I don't realize that Zayn isn't sitting here next to me?!"

"Li, calm down," Niall places his hand on my arm.

I sigh as I pinch the bridge of my nose. I look up to Louis and give him an apologetic smile.

"S-sorry."

I wince, expecting a hit, as Louis leans back toward me.

"S' alright, mate," he smiles.

I give him a confused look as I began the story of Zayn.

"He became my friend when we were really young. I don't exactly remember when. Mr. Bane didn't really keep track of our age until he knew we would survive past at least the five year mark. So I guess we were about five. Anyway, I was sitting in, what I realize now to be a cage, and a little tan boy came up to me," I smile at the memory. "He asked what my name was. When I told him, he told me his. We talked to me for a little while before Mr. Bane finally found him. 'Don't play with the other test subjects, son. We don't know if he'll survive,' he had told Zayn. Zayn nodded but looked back at me as they walked away from me. He smiled and waved to me before disappearing through a door. He came to visit and talk to me everyday. Telling me stories that he would make up."