Chapter 5 - Jesse

Jesse's POV

"Ummm," I mumble half asleep, snuggling closer to the warmth enveloping my body. My eyes slowly flutter open and I smile, gently turning around to face Bryan, the Greek god of a man wrapped around me. I reach out and gently stroke his cheek. He is absolutely gorgeous having the most beautiful emerald eyes, chocolate abs and a jawline sharp enough to cut through glass. His brunette hair is sprawled across the pillow and he is snoring softly.

I carefully remove myself from his embrace and walk over to the mini fridge in his room. I open the fridge and pull out a water guzzling down its contents in record time. I was parched. I lightly chuckle thinking back to earlier tonight or should I say last night since it was now 4am. It was amazing! I definitely have to get his number and ask him out when we have breakfast later. Assuming that he lets me stay for breakfast. I move closer to the bed smiling softly as I watch his peaceful sleeping face. Oh gosh I'm such a creep for watching him sleep. Ugh I feel like Edward.

I see my phone screen light up and buzz quietly. Tossing the empty water bottle in the bin, I walk over and pick up the phone, quietly leaving the room to answer it. "Hi baby bro," my voice comes out all hoarse and I clear my throat. Why is Chase calling me at this time? He drove to his boyfriend's house so he shouldn't need a ride or anything.

"Hello, is this Jesse that I am speaking to?" I take the phone from my ear and check the caller ID. It is my brother's number so why is some random woman calling me from it!

"Yes, this is he, who is this?" I feel a sense of dread setting in.

"I'm calling from Saint Augustine Hospital, the owner of this phone, Chase Lambert has been admitted to this hospital. He was..." My ears start ringing and I can't hear anything else that she is saying. Oh my god, Chase! My knees give out under me and I slide to the floor. My heart is so loud! Every breath that I take hurts. I need to get to the hospital.

"I'm, I'm on my way." I struggle to get the words out of my mouth. I don't listen to what she's saying and hang up the phone. I can't make out her words anyway. I can't hear anything above the sound of my erratic heart beat. Uber, I need to call an uber. I quickly open the app and order one. It says one will be here in 6 minutes.

I get up from the floor and walk towards the apartment door and step outside. There's a young woman walking down the corridor and she gasps, eyes travelling down my body. She points at me and says something but I don't hear her. I look down to where she's pointing. Oh I'm still naked. Normally I'd be a blushing, embarrassed mess but right now I only have one thought. I need to get to Chase to see if he's ok. Ugh I should have tried harder to listen to what that nurse was telling me.

I turn around and head back inside to get my clothes. After some effort I manage to pull on a shirt and pants and put on some socks and shoes before walking back out of the apartment towards the elevator. I press the button and wait, tapping my foot against the marble floor. The elevator fianlly dings and I hurry in, pressing the lobby button. I repeatedly slam my finger over the door close button, pressing it about a million times, but the doors take their sweet time closing.

After what feels like an eternity, the doors reopen and I bolt towards the waiting uber, rapidly jumping in, and the car starts heading in the direction of the hospital.

What happened to Chase? He said that he was going to Mike's last night. I swear to god if that little shitface hurt my brother I will rip his eyeballs out! I pull out my phone and dial Mike's number. Maybe he's at the hospital with Chase and I can find out from him if Chase is ok. It rings and then eventually goes to voicemail. Ugh I hate his stupid face why won't he answer the phone! He had to be with Chase because why would Chase be on the road alone at this time. Maybe they got in an accident and Mike died on the spot. I snicker at the thought of Mike dying. Gosh I really don't like Mike but I promised Chase that I would try to get along with him so I quickly took back my evil thoughts. I try the dirtbag one more time but it goes straight to voicemail. Did this bitch just turn off his phone! Ugh I want to punch his idiotic face.

My thoughts returned to Chase. The last time I felt such dread was when our father beat the crap out of Chase and he almost died. I knew that our father verbally abused Chase, hell, he verbally abused all of us. Chase however has always been shy and sensitive so I would step in whenever I heard our father yelling offensive things at Chase. I decided that I wouldn't leave Chase alone with our father once I realized that he got most of the verbal abuse and I roped Mason and Justin into helping with keeping the 2 apart whenever they were around.

The day Chase almost died, he was supposed to be at school but he cut class with two of his friends at the time and they went back to our house to play on Chase's new Xbox. Our dad came home drunk and finding Chase at home took out his anger on him. His friends left once our father started hitting Chase. I don't blame them for that, I understand them not wanting to intervene and get hurt. But they could have at least called the police or alerted someone of what was happening but they didn't. In fact, they never even visited Chase in hospital and avoided him at school once he returned.

I am pulled from my thoughts by the sound of the uber driver's voice. "We'll just stop and pick up this passenger on the way." The hell! Did I accidentally order an uber pool? I pull out my phone and check. Ugh I ordered an uber pool.

"No, please take me straight to the hospital, I didn't mean to order a pool, I'll change it in the app." Gosh I'm so stupid!

We pull up in front of the hospital and I am out of the car and running before the car even stops. "Hi, my brother Chase Lambert was admitted to the hospital, I got a call, can you tell me if he's ok?" My voice is trembling by the end. I am told to have a seat and wait because Chase is in surgery. I sit and feel the tears that were threatening to fall since I first got that phone call running down my cheeks. Chase can't die! I need him in my life! We are inseparable and have never spent more than a few days apart. How could I live without him. No, I won't think like that. I can't think like that. He will survive, he's strong. I know he'll be fine. I pull my phone out and call my brother Justin.

*******

Justin, his fiance Chloe and Mason are all here. Mason's wife Aerial didn't come though. She was pregnant and on strict bed rest. She called every hour to find out if we heard anything and ask us to eat a little something. It took five hours before the doctor came to us. "Chase lost a lot of blood, a few broken ribs, a concussion-"

"But is he ok? Is he stable?" I all but scream at the doctor, Like couldn't she lead with whether he was fine or not!

"Yes, he's stable for now, we'll keep a close eye on him tonight. It might take a few days for him to wake up but we are confident that he will wake up." Chase is going to be ok, that's all that matters.

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and/ or leave comments!