Chapter 25 - Chase

Chase's POV

My eyes flash open; my chest rising and falling rapidly. I see the white fuzzy outline of the ceiling through my blurry vision. Where am I? The muffled sounds around me do nothing to help answer that question. Oh god! That man took me! He was approaching me with such a sinister grin. Oh god! I squeeze my eyes shut.

No! I remember those arms catching me, those strong, comfortable arms. I take a deep breath. There's no way those arms would let me get hurt. I take another deep breath. Wherever I am I'll be safe. I'm sure of it. I continue breathing slowly until I start to hear the now familiar machines of the hospital along with Justin and Jesse's chattering.

I open my eyes and look over to where their voices are coming from. Justin is wearing a teasing smirk and Jesse's face is crimson red. Neither of them are aware that I'm awake and I smile as I watch them.

Ever since I came out of the hospital, Jesse has had to put up with a lot. I was cranky and difficult the whole of last week. I barely had the will to get out of bed and I hardly ate anything. I know it must have been tough for Jesse. But he never complained and I know he never will. That's why I need to be strong. I need to stop being so dependent on him because he will just give and give until there is nothing left and I can't have that.

"Chase! You're awake!" Jesse says shooting out of his chair and rushing towards me. "What happened? Are you ok?" His eyes seem to portray only worry these days.

"I'm ok. I saw one of the men from that night but I'm ok. I really am!" I reach out to squeeze Jesse's hand while giving Justin a reassuring smile.

Despite how terrifying it was to see that man again, the only thing on my mind right now are those arms that broke my fall. They were so powerful and secure. I could spend all day in those arms. "Who brought me here?" I add quickly, cutting off Jesse who no doubt was going to press me for details on what exactly happened.

"Diego, he said he saw you at the vending machine and you looked scared," Jesse replies, still fussing over me like there's some hidden message on my skin that says 'look this is where I hurt, Chase is lying'.

"Is he-"

I am interrupted when I see God himself enter the ward, carrying a giant gift bag. He stops at the end of my bed.

"Hi. Hi Chase, I hope you won't hide under the blanket this time too." God, in the form of Diego, smiles at me; the warmest, sexist smile I have ever seen. The light bounces off his dimples making them seem somehow deeper yet brighter. His eyes are the perfect chocolate colour and his gaze is just as sweet as my favourite nutella pancakes.

I don't realize that I'm staring at him with my mouth hanging open until I hear Jesse laugh and feel his hand under my chin pushing it upwards. I immediately duck my head and fiddle with the bed sheet. I hear Diego chuckle; a deep, musical sound that sends heat coursing through my body. What is he doing to me!

"I brought you something little lamb, can I come give it to you?" Diego's mesmerizing voice asks; my heart doing backflips at the nickname. I've always loved nicknames but I only ever got baby or babe or cutie.

Smiling, I peek up at him. I love gifts! "Is that giant gift bag for me!" I can't help the excitement in my voice and I hear Jesse and Justin laugh and see Diego's bright smile which seems to match my level of excitement.

Diego sticks the bag out for me to take and I eagerly grab it and he chuckles again. I quickly pull out the decorative paper on top and gasp when I see the contents. I let out an excited squeal as I shuffle around in the bag.

The gift bag literally has at least two of every snack in the vending machine! "Thank you so much, Diego! I love this! I love snacks a lot but anything chocolaty is the best! Milk chocolate is my favourite though!" I reply animatedly, hugging the giant bag of snacks to my chest and gently rocking them. "Oh and thank you for bringing me here!" I add as an afterthought.