Chapter 16 - Chase

Yes, I know this says 16 and not 14! I added 2 chapters at the front of the book to help properly introduce you to the characters (Chase, Jesse and Mike) before diving into the main plot, so you can check those out! ❤ 

Now without further adieu arguable my favourite chapter! Hope you enjoy! ❤

Chase's POV

I can't believe I told Jesse everything last night. I didn't think that I would be waking up this morning but here I am squinting my eyes against the morning sun. I honestly don't know how I feel about being alive.

I hear what sounds like a pot being dropped followed by Jesse swearing and I involuntarily smile a little. A part of me is happy I'm still here but another part of me is sad I didn't die. I still don't know if I can survive but I know there's one thing that I'm now certain of and it's that Jesse has my back.

Thinking about how things turned out, I don't know why I was so worried. Jesse has always supported me but I just felt so alone. The world around me felt foreign. Cold. Dark. Empty. I was slowly drowning in my own thoughts; in my own self loathing. There was no light at the end of my tunnel, only darkness, engulfing me and dragging me further away from where I thought the light should be.

There was no other time I have ever felt so alone.

But then Jesse asked me if I was going to kill myself and it felt like a tiny light had found me. A tiny light that wanted to help me; that cared enough to reach me despite the almost tangible darkness that he had to cut through to get to me.

He reached out and reassured me that I was not alone and that I wasn't tainted. In a burst of confidence and gratitude, I asked him to help me take Mike and his friends to court. I didn't think I would say that. I never wanted to see Mike's face ever again but I want to be strong, like Jesse said I am. By the time I have to face Mike and his friends in court, I know I will be strong enough. I have to be.

"Hey baby bro," Jesse's voice pulls me from my thoughts. I look towards him and see that he has a bright, warm smile on his face. I force myself to smile widely in return and he frowns at me.

"Chase, don't do that. If you want to be sad be sad. If you don't feel like smiling, don't. There's nothing wrong with being sad or not smiling. I don't want you to pretend to be happy, I want you to actually be happy and I know one day you will be happy again but you won't get there by trying to portray whatever emotion you think I want to see."

Tears well up in my eyes at his words and I do smile this time; a sad smile.

"Do you want me to leave you alone and let you cry or do you want me to sit with you?" He asks gently.

"I'll be out in a few minutes but thank you," I reply with tears already streaming down my face. He hums a response and closes my bedroom door.

It actually takes me over an hour to stop crying and when I go out I hear Jesse talking to what sounds like Dean and a woman.

"Hi Dean," I greet him and he smiles in return. What is Dean doing here? I don't see Shawn.

"Chase, this is Samantha, she's a criminal lawyer and she and Dean are going to take your case against he who shall not be named and his evil minions. I thought hiring Dean would be easier for you since he's a familiar face and he says Samantha is an expert at handling cases like this. I'm really sorry if I overstepped!" Jesse's face flushes as he tries to gauge my reaction.

I think about it for a while. I know I told Jesse that I wanted to prosecute Mike and his friends but I just thought I would have more time before all that started. I'm glad it's Dean though, I've met him a few times when Shawn was around and Dean seems kind. It would definitely be easier to open up to Samantha with someone I already know being on the case. I guess my quest in being strong starts here. I slowly nod, indicating that I'm alright with this set up.