Chapter 40 - Chase

Chase's POV 

“The way the screenwriter crafted the dialogue to accurately pay homage to our current times even though it was set in the early nineties was incredible! The transitions between scenes were flawless, not to mention the actors! Where did they find such talent! And the best part is that the whole thing was dripping with emotion!” I gush as I swing Diego’s arm and skip by his side. 

We just finished the screening of the last movie at the film festival and it was absolutely fantastic! I loved it so much! In fact, it is arguably the best movie that I’ve seen to date. This is the type of movie I’d want to make, one that leaves audiences satisfied yet begging for more. One with impactful, emotive dialogue and seamless directing. 

Diego gently tugs me closer to him so that I avoid colliding with the man surrying towards me. I didn’t even see him! I’m just so happy right now! It feels like I’m a cloud, light and free. My smile is wide and it feels like it’s taking up my entire face. I turn around, now skipping backwards as I face Diego, gently swinging our still interlocked hands.

Since I asked Diego to be my boyfriend and told him that I was comfortable holding hands, I haven’t let go of him. I've felt the need to cling to him and Diego has been very receptive and let me do whatever I wanted to! Somewhere in the back of my head the thoughts of the trial are still there but Diego has a really great ability of helping me stay focused on the present. 

“Did you enjoy the film that much?” Diego asks, pulling me a little to the right which I realized was to prevent me from crashing into a pole. 

I giggle and nod enthusiastically. “It was beautiful! I wonder what their inspiration was!”

“We can meet the screenwriter and the director if you’d like?” Diego responds with a chuckle. 

My eyes widen and I let out an embarrassing high pitched squeal that Diego seems to have a knack for eliciting. "Seriously!" I yell, coming to a dead stop in front of him. I've smiled so much in the last few hours that my cheeks hurt, but I wouldn't have it any other way! 

Diego chuckles and nods before responding. "Yes! I sent a message to the organiser of the event, he owes me a favour, and asked if we could meet the director and screenwriter of the last movie!" 

"Really!" I squeal again, too excited to be embarrassed by the noises coming from my mouth. I giggle and tilt my head, narrowing my eyes slightly. "Is that why you were texting during the last movie?" 

Diego gives me a sheepish look and rubs the back of his neck. "I thought you were too engrossed in the movie to notice. But yes, that's when I messaged him." 

"Are we going to meet them now? Which way is it?" I ask, looking around for any indication of which direction we should head in. 

"We're almost there! We've actually been walking in that direction," Diego replies and I hop back to his side and we set off to meet the creators behind the film. 

Unable to contain my excitement, I monologue about the film the entire way while Diego smiles continuously and guides me away from approaching people and objects. 

"Diego!" A middle aged man calls as soon as we enter the room, causing the four persons sitting around him at the table to focus on us. He rushes towards us and I tense at his speed and try to let go of Diego so that he won't accidentally touch me. 

Diego gives my hand a gentle squeeze but doesn't let go. "Marcus! Long time no see!" He replies, matching the other man's enthusiasm. Diego holds out his hand for the man to shake and this causes him to slow his approach.