Chapter 28 - Jesse

Jesse's POV

I pace up and down the living, urging Chase to come out of his room with my mind. He's been locked in there for the past two days. He hasn't even come out for food and it's honestly been hell. I've had Shawn and both our brothers call him as well as Aerial and Chloe; but still he remains locked away, completely ignoring us.

Maybe I should ask Diego to call him? I immediately dismiss that thought; I can't meddle in his love life. Chase would be crushed if he found out that the only reason Diego called him was because I asked him to. I plop down on the couch and lean my head back, looking up at the ceiling in dismay.

I've never seen Chase quite so responsive to anyone. When he met Diego at the hospital, he literally couldn't stop smiling. His smiles over the last few weeks have been so scarce but Diego seems to have a knack for drawing them out. I smile at that because I genuinely think that Diego might be good for him. As a plus he's Bryan and Dean's best friend, so he definitely has some good referrals.

Shawn is always talking about how amazing Dean is and how he takes such good care of him and Bryan has been the absolute best; patient, kind and sweet. I let out a wistful sigh. I really miss him.

"Hi Jesse." Chase's voice startles me despite the fact that it is barely above a whisper.

I shoot up from the couch and instantly hug him. I thought I would go crazy not knowing why he decided to trap himself in his room. He never even gave me a hint as to why he did it and I'm not sure if I did something to upset him. The only thing that kept me sane while I waited for Chase to come out of his room was Shawn and Bryan's reassurance.

Chase returns my hug and squeezes me tightly. "I'm sorry, Jesse. I'm sorry I locked myself away in my room and I'm sorry I yelled at you." He mumbles as I feel his tears hit my shoulder.

I release him and sit on the couch tugging him down with me. "It's ok, baby bro. What happened? Did I-"

"No! Jesse no! You didn't do anything! I was just... I just needed some time to think." Chase interjects, drying his tears with the corner of his bright yellow T-shirt.

I tilt my head at him curiously and he continues. "I was thinking about dropping the case and I know you would want me to prosecute them so I didn't want to feel like a failure and let you down."

Of course I want him to prosecute Mike and those other fiends. But I also know that the process isn't a walk in the park. So I can understand why he would be having second thoughts. "Chase, I'm not the one that has to tell them what happened in court. I'm not the one that constantly has to go over details of the case with the police and lawyers. Of course I would like it if you prosecute them but not if it breaks you. So if you honestly don't think you can handle it, drop the case. You're not a failure and I won't be disappointed."

"Really?" Chase's hopeful eyes gleam at me.

"I won't be disappointed," I repeat, giving him a reassuring smile.

I'm not upset or disappointed with Chase for not prosecuting them, I know it will take a lot out of him mentally. But I need some sort of retribution. Maybe I can pay someone to beat up those guys every few months for the next twenty years. Murder might be a bit much on my conscience. Besides, this way they get to live in a state of constant fear.

"Well I am going to press charges so you can stop planning to murder them in your mind," Chase says, releasing a tiny giggle.

I flash him a guilty look. "I'm sorry! I won't pressure you to press charges but I really can't let them go completely unpunished!"

Chase giggles harder and reaches out to hug me again which I return. Once he releases me he says, "Well I can't have my brother doing anything illegal can I?"