Chapter 27 - Chase

Chase's POV

I finally realized two things over the past few days; the first being that cases like mine can drag on for months and in worst case scenarios even years. Do I really want to put myself through that mental torture for so long? No matter what I do I'll always be wondering about how the case is going, whereas if I drop the case I can at least try to forget about the worst night of my life.

I've been avoiding Jesse ever since I thought about this and have been staked out in my room trying to figure out if I should ask the police to drop the case. I know that Jesse never said it but I'm sure he would rather me bring Mike and his friends to justice. But they're so many pros to dropping the case.

If I decide not to take them to court then my personal statement detailing the incident wouldn't have to be shared with anyone else. I wouldn't have to look into the eyes of those men and repeat the god awful things that they did to me; reliving that night yet again. I also wouldn't become a spectacle for everyone to gawk at and judge in court.

But then I think about what would happen if their behaviour goes unpunished. Would they think that what they did was acceptable? Would they do it to someone else? I can't help the cold shiver that accompanies that thought and I let out an exasperated sigh.

The second thing I realized is that Diego is too good for me. I spent the better part of this morning stalking him and not only is he way out of my league with his superior, god-like looks but he's a social butterfly, I would never fit in with him. It turns out that he's the head of Public Relations at the tech company where Bryan is the CEO. He lives a lush and lavish life filled with business meetings and fancy people.

I sigh again and rub my eyes trying to clear my mind. I'm suddenly startled by my phone ringing and I don't even bother checking to see who's calling. It finally stops, only to instantly start ringing again. Groaning, I wrap myself in my blanket and squeeze a pillow around my head to cover my ears. My phone is too far away and I don't plan on getting out of bed until I decide whether or not I'm dropping the case.

After seven minutes of essentially non-stop calling, the person finally gives up and the room is once again filled with my deafening thoughts.

However, I'm clearly not to be left alone with my thoughts because whoever is calling decides that they're not in fact giving up and my annoying, generic ringtone sounds, once again. I roll over and stare at my phone which is on my desk and out of arm's reach, willing it to shut up.

Since I came back from the police station two days ago, after giving my statement of my near encounter with that man at the hospital, I locked myself in my room. In fact the only times I've gotten up is to use the bathroom before high tailing it back to bed.

Jesse swore that he would break down the door but I got really pissed and yelled at him so he backed off and said that he would give me some time alone. I know that was a really shitty thing to do but I need to figure out what to do about this case and seeing him will only make me feel guilty for even second guessing my decision to prosecute them.

"Will you stop ringing!" I yell, stumbling out of bed and hastily answering the phone to put an end to the incessant ringing. "WHAT!" I scream at the unsuspecting irritant on the phone.

"Hello," comes a calm, deep voice that immediately fills me with warmth and serenity. Completely embarrassed, I gasp and end the call.

Oh my gosh! Did I just yell at Diego? Did I just hang up on him!! I run my hand through my oily hair, that is definitely in need of washing and unlock my phone to see 47 missed calls. My lips pull up at the corners when I see that a lot of those missed calls are from 'My Future Boyfriend' as Diego decided to name himself in my phone.