Chapter 9 - Jesse

Jesse's POV

Chase is acting weird. I don't exactly know what is wrong because he refuses to tell me but something is wrong. Even though he is shy, he was always happy and smiled brightly and regularly. Recently though his smiles are less frequent and whenever he does smile, they feel forced and fake and I am convinced that this had something to do with Mike.

Chase still didn't tell me what happened. But any time I try to bring up Mike or why he was on the road at 4am, he has a panic attack. That is another new thing, his panic attacks. The triggers for his panic attacks seemed to be related to people touching him. Whenever anyone other than me touches him he starts breathing quickly and immediately tries to pull away. That is really unlike him! Chase loves hugs and never used to shy away from people showing him affection.

Every night since Chase came out of the coma, he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming and begging for it to stop. I tried asking him several times what the 'it' was that he wanted to stop and what happened in his nightmares but he never answers. He just cries and shakes his head.

I am certain that the root of all these changes in Chase is Mike but I have no proof. I think Mike hurt my baby brother and when I find out what he did I will murder him and happily go to jail!

I have a quick shower and get ready to leave the house for the first time in 3 weeks. I haven't left Chase's side since he was admitted to the hospital and I think he is getting annoyed with me. Chase is almost fully recovered but I still don't want to leave him alone.

I call my assistant, literally the only person employed by Lux, my interior design business.

I had her refuse any calls that came in for business while I was preoccupied with Chase. She answers after 2 rings.

"Hi Cara, I'll be starting work again from today so if we have any calls that come in for business tell that I'm free to meet with them starting this afternoon, nothing later than 5pm though." She says ok and we catch up a little then I hang up.

She's such a sweetheart! I had to reduce her pay significantly because I couldn't afford to pay her while not getting any income. I told her that I would understand if she wanted to quit but she insisted that she would stay and get another temporary job in the meantime.

Before I head to the office to work on creating some social media pages and a website I decide to visit Bryan's apartment complex. It's crazy of me to think that he would even remember me but I had to try. I felt really comfortable around him and he was hot, like drop dead gorgeous! And I think going on a few dates with him would be fun.

Now I'm standing in front of his door shifting from one foot to the other. Should I ask him out? Will he even remember? I mean that was 5 weeks ago? Would he even want to go out with me? What the hell? I'm never this insecure! If I want something, I go get it! If he doesn't want to go out with me then that's his loss because I'm one hell of a catch!

I stick my chin out and knock on his door. I wait for a few seconds but I don't hear any movement inside. Hmmm is he not home? I knock again, louder this time but still nothing.

"Oh my god! Naked kid?" I turn on my heels blushing profusely. Oh god! Last time I was here I came out of the apartment butt naked. Oh gosh, this is so embarrassing! Where's a blackhole when you need one!

"First of all I'm not a kid, a kid is a baby goat." I stick my tongue out at her and she starts choking on her laughter. "Second, did you enjoy the view? I know I'm smoking hot." I wink at her, blushing an even darker shade of red, if that's even possible! She literally starts gasping for breath as tears roll out her eyes from laughing so hard.

"I'm Mira, nice to meet you!" She finally calms down and introduces herself. "What brings you here? Are you looking for the guy that used to live here?"

"Jesse. Yes I'm looking for Bryan. Used to?" I reply, raising my eyebrows. Ideally I would have liked to raise one eyebrow but my face literally couldn't do that and I looked like I was having a stroke if I tried.

"Yeah, he moved out about a week after your naked incident. By the way are you ok? You looked really out of it that day." I blush again at her naked incident comment.

He moved out? Well that's disappointing. I guess no more hot sex for me. I'm trying so hard to convince myself that I'm only disappointed because I don't get to have sex with him again but deep, deep down I know that's not true. Wait! Did I even answer her?

"Yeah I'm fine, had an emergency with my brother so my head was all over the place. Do you have a contact number for Bryan?" This is mildly creepy of me but not Joe from You level creepy, so it's ok.

"No sorry, I don't," she gives me a sympathetic look, "but maybe check with his immediate neighbours they might have a number for him!"

"Nah, it's ok, this was a bit of a long shot to begin with. Thanks anyways!" She leaves shortly afterwards waving at me. My heart sinks a little at the thought of never seeing that sexy man again but what can I do? It just wasn't meant to be.

I get back into my car and drive to a little office space, no bigger than a container, that I call my office. My phone dings and I see a message from Cara.

Cara: Hey Jesse, I got a call from a client asking if you can meet at their house today at 3:30pm. I pinned you the location.

I look at my watch and I can probably work for an hour before I need to get going. I create a Facebook page and an Instagram page and upload a few photos but I don't have enough time for the website. I give Chase a quick call to find out if he's ok, pack up my things and leave for the client's house.

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and/ or leave comments!