Chapter 55 - Jesse

Jesse's POV

The large, cream, two-story house adorned with a lovely flower garden seems like the most daunting place on earth. Behind those French doors are my boyfriend's parents, Esmée and David. Bryan's arms wrap around my waist and he nibbles at my neck. "It's not too late to cancel," he whispers, gently sucking on my ear lobe.

I spin around in his arms, tug his head downwards and connect our lips. "Nope, let's do this. I'm awesome and she will love me," I say, to psyche myself up after breaking the kiss.

"Of course she'll love you! You're the best!" Bryan pecks my lips after each word. "And I told you, I'm more worried that you won't like her." He smiles and kisses my lips one more time before saying, "Okay, let's get this over with."

After I give him a brief nod, he grins and intertwines our hands before we walk towards the front door. The ivory curtain is drawn back and the door flings open as soon as we are standing in front of it; I barely have time to register what happens next.

"I thought you two were going to spend the whole day kissing outside!" A bubbly voice says, a millisecond before I am squished against plump breasts. "It's so nice to finally meet you Jesse!"

I gingerly wrap my arms around, who I can only assume is Esmée's waist. Seconds later I feel a tug on the back of my shirt as Esmée's arms are peeled from my body.

"Mother!" Bryan whines, snaking his arm around my waist and holding me close to him, while trying to fend off his mother who is trying to embrace me again.

She is a few inches taller than I am and when compared to the pictures I've seen of her, she is even more gorgeous in person. Her thighs fill out her light blue skinny Jean and her elegant, white blouse sits just above her collarbones, but exposes her flawlessly smooth and clear shoulder save for a tiny black mole on her left shoulder. A face with few wrinkles, shining, shoulder length brunette hair and a smile as bright as the sun, Esmée looks like she just stepped out of a magazine. There is no way she's fifty five!

"Dad! Help us!" Bryan yells, just as his mother succeeds in squishing both of us into a tight hug.

A deep laugh sounds from behind Esmée and David appears behind her. His salt and pepper hair is perfectly styled with a side part. The dark blue polo and white slacks that he is wearing look like they were perfectly tailored for his body. He is well built and it's clear that he works out. A five o'clock shadow adorns his angular face and his lips are curved up into an amused smile.

He pats his wife on the back and says, "Honey, if you do this, you'll scare him off. Give him some time before you start attacking him with your hugs."

Esmée sighs dramatically and releases us. "I don't mind, I like hugs," I say truthfully, before Esmée can start apologising.

Her face lights up at my response and she engulfs me in another hug. This time I hug her back tightly and she is all smiles when she pulls away. "Come, let's go inside!" She chirps.

Bryan interlocks our hands before his mother can latch onto my hand. She pouts but doesn't say anything and enters the house with David following close behind.

"Why did you tell her you liked hugs! Now she'll hug you at every opportunity!" Bryan whispers in my ear.

"Because I do like hugs and she seems very sweet," I reply.

Bryan gives me a horrified look. "I've been so worried that you wouldn't like her, I forgot to consider the possibility that you two might get along!"

I laugh lightly in response as we sit at the table across from David. "We really are glad to finally meet you, Jesse. I-"

"Don't start without me!" Esmée exclaims as she rushes into the room with a large dish and places it in the middle of the table.