Chapter 54 - Chase

Chase's POV

I look around my room, trying to determine if I'm forgetting anything. This is the first time I'll be sleeping away from home since the incident. Images of that night still plague my dreams, although the frequency of these nightmares has significantly decreased. I'm a little worried that I'll have a nightmare tonight and I don't want Diego to have to deal with this on top of everything else.

"Do you have everything?" Jesse asks from my doorway. "I'm sure you'll be alright with Diego but if you need me to come back home for whatever reason, just call me and I'll leave Bryan's place and come get you."

"Thank you," I reply as I give him a quick hug. "And have fun meeting Bryan's parents! They will love you so don't worry!"

He chuckles lightly and nods. The doorbell rings, halting any further conversation and I immediately snatch up my little carry-on and backpack before hurrying to the door to greet Diego. "Di-" I frown and release a tiny sigh. "Hi Bryan, come in."

"Wow I didn't know you hated me that much!" Bryan exclaims, dramatically clenching his heart as if in pain.

I giggle at his antics before saying, "I don't! I'm just excited to see Diego!"

"I'm sure he'll be here soon," Bryan replies with a smile. "I'm happy that you're spending the day with him and that you're visiting his family's graves. It means a lot to him, more than you might think." I nod in response and his gaze drifts behind me.

"Talk to you later Chase, I spotted my sexy tomato!" He rushes towards my smiling twin and crashes his lips into his. The doorbell rings again and I release a tiny squeal and open the door. "DiDi! You're here!"

Diego grins and embraces me in a tight hug before placing a chaste kiss on my lips. "What do you have here, little lamb? Are you sleeping over!"

From his quizzical but excited tone I realize that I never actually asked him if I could spend the night. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to ambush you! I-"

I am interrupted by Diego's tender lips on mine. He lingers for a few seconds before resting his forehead against mine. "You will always be welcomed. You can stay over whenever you'd like for as long as you want. I'll always be happy to have you."

With that, he presses his lips back to mine, nibbling at my bottom lip before pulling away. "Okay," I whisper with a big goofy smile on my face. Diego chuckles, takes my bags and heads towards the car. I follow him and while Diego puts my bags in the boot, we say bye to Bryan and Jesse as they set off to meet Bryan's parents.

We get into the car and start driving towards the cemetery. Diego is quiet the entire way there and for the first time, I'm hesitant to interrupt his thoughts. I end up not saying anything and instead listen to the soft music coming from the radio.

"Are you ready to meet my family?" Diego asks after parking the car.

"I am," I reply and Diego nods, giving me a small smile. It's weird, but I'm actually a little nervous to visit them. Since our time on the island, Diego has shared some more memories and photos of his family, and the love he has for all of them is almost palpable.

I grab my backpack from the trunk, ignoring his puzzled look and declining his offer to carry my backpack. After I link my hand with his, he leads me towards his family's graves. Fresh flowers adorn three well kept gravestones and Diego stops in front of them. "Hi mom, dad, Aurora. I brought my boyfriend that I've been telling you about. I'm really happy that he came with me today." He kisses the back of my hand which is still intertwined with his.

"I finally found someone who truly makes me happy. I know that you all would have loved him, especially you, Aurora. He has a sweet tooth just like you!" Diego is wearing a sad but somewhat happy smile when he turns towards me. "Is it weird if I ask you to say hello to them? If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to. You being willing to come here with me is more than enough."