p l a y i n g d i r t y

After Harry told me I was on the team, the month leading up to the first Quidditch match went both slow and fast at the same time.

Now, it's finally the morning of, and I have to attend my first class, then leave early to prepare for the match. I constantly feel jitters in my stomach throughout the morning as I get dressed in my tight fitting Quidditch sweater and head down to breakfast.

I slip into my seat next to an anxiety-ridden Ron, who's staring at his plate of a fried egg and triangular toast pieces. Hermione and Harry are sitting across from him; Hermione is gazing at Ron with concerned eyes... Harry looks completely unbothered as he chews on a piece of toast and stares into space. 

"Eloise," Hermione looks up, forcing a smile. "How are we feeling today?"

I let out a breath and shrug. "I can't tell if I'm panicking or excited, but either way, I'm just going to go with the flow."

She chuckles along with Harry, but Ron stays quiet until he leans in, panicked. 

"I'm resigning. After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot."

"Ron, what in the world are you talking about?" I half-laugh, my brows knitted.

"Have it your way," Harry says softly, placing a goblet in front of Ron. "Juice."

Ron takes the cup and looks in it as Luna sits down beside me wearing an enormous lion headdress-like hat. She smiles at me and I reflect the expression, admiring her goofy accessory. 

"Nice," I comment. 

"Thank you kindly," she replies, earning a small giggle from me. She then turns to the rest of the group and adds, "hello, everyone. You look dreadful, Ron."

Ron looks at her, fear glimmering in his eyes.

"Is that why you put something in his cup?" Luna asks calmly, looking at Harry now. 

Hermione looks confused, and fixes her gaze back to Luna.

"Is it a tonic?" Luna asks amidst the confused silence. 

Harry takes a small vile and slips it back into his pocket. I'm still oblivious to what he's done. 

Hermione watches him put the flask away, saying softly, "Liquid Luck."

My eyes go wide. I had completely forgotten about Hermione telling me of Harry receiving Liquid Luck in Potions class as a prize. I gasp quietly, my lips parting in shock at my friend who's just tricked Ron to his advantage. 

[*FYI: Since the major conflict is not in this book, the Half Blood Prince notebook does not exist. Think of Harry receiving this reward simply as a result of his success in one class. Slughorn is still a teacher.*]

"Don't drink it, Ron!" Hermione hisses. 

Ron hesitates for a moment, then lifts the goblet to his lips. Harry's grinning at him. I'm still sitting in shock. 

"Ron..." I start in barely a whisper. 

Hermione turns to Harry and whispers angrily, "You could be expelled for tha-"

"I don't know what your talking about," Harry responds quickly.

Ron begins to slowly smile, his eyes growing wider and sparkling with determination. "Come on Harry, we've got a game to win!"

The two boys stand from the bench, slapping each other's hands before excitedly walking out of the hall. Hermione looks defeated, looking to me. I sigh and shake my head, shrugging defeatedly.