f i n a l e x a m s

It's been two weeks since that night in the courtyard and I haven't looked back.

I feel much better now after not speaking to Draco for the past two weeks. I needed to forget about everything. When we sit together in History of Magic, I don't say a word, and neither does he. I can tell it's because I don't speak to him, and I feel relieved that he's not pushing the limits.

But I've noticed something. Draco doesn't just stay quiet around me in class. I've passed him in the halls when he's with his Slytherin friends, and it's different. Completely different. 

Before, he would be laughing, joking with them, appearing as friends do, shoving each other around, and I would just sort of scoff... I never paid him any attention. 

But now, I walk by, and I see him out of the corner of my eye; he's just standing there, beside his friends, who are talking and laughing, while he just looks sort of... empty. Staring at the floor, or fiddling with his book bag strap. 

I haven't seen him smile in weeks. I don't really know how to react to that. So I don't. 

Everything feels much more normal now as I sit in the Great Hall with my friends. Thoughts of that night at the party have been gradually drowned out by Quidditch, class assignments, and more importantly (at least to me), my newfound knowledge of one of my closest friends.

Catching Lee's looks at George have been the highlights of my day. 

On this past Monday morning, George, jokingly, tried to control Lee's bedhead hair at the breakfast table and made Lee nearly beet red. 

On Wednesday evening, Lee didn't realize he was staring at George lying on his back by the fire softly singing "Yesterday" by the Beatles and mouthed a "shut up" to me when I wiggled my eyebrows at him teasingly.

Today at breakfast, Lee told a joke that had George nearly shoot water out of his nose and the proud smile on his face was brighter than the morning sun.  

And I couldn't resist a few days ago... I had to test George a bit, my curiosity has been killing me ever since I was talking to Lee about my small theory that's now beginning to grow just a tad...

"Hey, Georgie, if I were to set you up with someone, would you be willing?" I had casually asked him when we were walking to Quidditch practice. 

He scoffed. "You know people to set me up with?" 

"Hey! I'm... semi-popular," I defended. "But anyways... you didn't answer the question."

He then sighed, shrugging. "I dunno. Depends on who."

"Like, if I had a really pretty girl friend..." I emphasized the word "girl", "...and I thought you guys would hit it off... what would you think?"

"How about you worry about your own relationship for now, dork?" he chuckled. 

I had eyed him closely, a small smile touching my lips, but quickly looked forward to not look suspicious. 

--------

I'm in the middle of a private lesson with Snape when I begin to think about my upcoming apprenticeship. He finishes telling me about the complex Draught of Peace potion as I jot down notes, taking in as much information as possible, as per usual. He circles around the table as I look up from my writing.

"Sir," I ask, cueing him to look to me. "I was wondering if you knew how exactly I'll be going about assisting Professor Slughorn next year? In the younger years' classes... I'm just curious."