a c h a n g e o f p a c e

It's been a day since the night I heard Fred and Lee in the hospital wing.

I've only slept here five nights, but my head pain has steadily decreased and I didn't wake up once last night. I can't tell if that's due to the miracle of wizarding medicine or my new mental state, but either way, I'm relieved to feel far better than before.

Madame Pomfrey told me I can go back to sleeping in the dorms after examining me and I couldn't be more happy. She warned me about further symptoms, like headaches and dizziness, and I agreed to come to her if it gets worse again.

I'm gathering my things around eleven forty-five, packing up my clothes and books around my hospital bed. Lunch is served at noon, so I have time to drop off my things back at the dorms and head down to the Great Hall. I truly didn't realize how much I loved eating there with my friends till now.

Madame Pomfrey approaches me as I slip my last shirt into my bag. "Got everything, dear?"

I nod. "Yep, I think so. Thank you so much for everything, Madame."

She smiles gently and pats my shoulder. "Not a problem, Eloise. And remember, come talk to me if you're having any more issues. I mean it."

I smile at her firmness. "I definitely will."

I slip into my robe and Pomfrey sends me off with my things. I walk through the nearly empty corridors, most students evidently occupying the Great Hall as of right now. I enter the Gryffindor common room and see only Seamus and Dean, who greet me with casual grins.

"Good to have you back, Eloise," Dean says. 

"And good to see your head not bashed in," Seamus adds. 

"Hardy har har..." I scoff as they grin. 

I pass them to drop my things off in my dorm, promptly returning to the portrait hole.

I'm quietly walking down to the Great Hall at a brisk pace, my stomach growling with hunger. I finally reach the entrance, seeing the business of the crowded room, and smile to myself... it's been far too long without the exciting bustle of Hogwarts around me. 

Students are already digging into lunch, talking with one another at the usual noisy volume. 

I walk down the aisle towards the Gryffindor table, some of the students giving me a smile or even a welcoming whoop, which makes me laugh. I walk towards the end of the table and see the group, my eyes pointed down as I'm adjusting my robes a bit, then look up. 

That's when I see him.

He's leaning into the table, cracking a joke to Harry and Ron. George, on his other side, is trying to balance a spoon on Lee's nose but is slapping him on the arm repeatedly because Lee keeps laughing and making it drop off. 

Hermione notices me first, my feet awkwardly planted a few feet from them, and her face beams.

"Eloise!" She chirps, and the group looks up at me.

Fred turns to see me and abruptly stands from the table. I feel my breath hitch as he stares at me with wide eyes and a slight smile, looking both relieved and delighted at the same time.

Everyone else is quiet as they look at Fred. He realizes he's the only one standing and slowly slides back onto the bench as I approach my seat. I catch Lee grinning as he stares at his sandwich.

"Really... really good to see you better, Eloise," Fred says, nodding to me. I smile.

"How are you feeling?" Ginny asks, offering me a plate of sandwiches.