w e a s l e y s' w i z a r d w h e e z e s

About a day after Harry's birthday, I decide to head home since I've been at the Burrow for about a week and a half now. I plan on coming back for just a day on August 11th for Ginny's birthday, but can't stay because I need to get ready for school.

School.

My final year at Hogwarts is rapidly approaching and there's no more pushing away the thought of it. Or the reality of it, for that matter. I can't seem to fathom that I'm about to enter my very last year, and not only that but... a year without Fred.

How in the world am I supposed to get through that? 

I've been back home for about a week now with Mum and have received a couple of letters from him; apparently, the shop is going very well and things are moving rather quickly. I want to go check it out myself, but Fred's insisted in the letter that he wants to keep everything a surprise, in Weasley twin fashion.

I'm sitting at the dining room table munching on a few apple slices and browsing the Daily Prophet when Mum walks in holding something behind her back.

"Elle, da-a-a-arling..." she says in a sing-song voice, "I've got something for you."

I glance up, still chewing. "I'm scared by your tone of voice."

She laughs and slips into a seat across from me while simultaneously pulling out a medium-sized box, setting it on the table.

"Think of this as an early birthday gift..." she says, "something for your final year at school."

"Mum... my birthday isn't for another three weeks or so."

"I know, I know..." she chuckles, pushing the box towards me, "but I wanted you to have it before the term starts. Go on, open it up!"

I look at the box, grin excitedly, and slide it closer, eyeing its deep red color and the small white bow decorating the top. I unwrap it and unfold the lid. My eyes then go wide at what's inside.

It's two identical cord telephones... small ones, perfect for a nightstand... except one is a very light sage green, and the other pale pink.

"Oh, wow, Mum!" I exclaim. "My own telephone? But why are there two of 'em?"

I look up to see her smiling warmly. "One is for you, one is for Fred."

My face lights up even more.

"I felt bad that you two won't be able to see each other much while you're at school..." she continues, "so I wanted to get you something to bring with you that'll help you stay in contact. No more writing letters. It's nice to just hear someone's voice, you know?"

"Mum, that's so... wow!" I swoon, standing up and circling the table to hug her. "I've been so worried about not being able to talk to him during the year..."

"Well now, you can," she chirps as she wraps her arms around me. "If you can teach him how to use it, of course."

I giggle as I slip out of her arms, looking at her.

"I can't believe it's my last year..."

"Trust me, I can't either," she chuckles, brushing a strand of hair out of my face. "It's a bit painful... to see my baby girl growing up so fast..."

"Oh boy, here come the waterworks..." I groan. 

She playfully pushes me and laughs lightly, turning around to walk back to the kitchen. I watch as she begins preparing a pot of tea.

"I just hope everything goes well for you this year, Elle," she says, pouring water into the teapot. "I mean, I know it will... you're a brilliant student, I have complete faith in your academic abilities..."