n e w s

~ IMPORTANT NOTE: before Eloise moved and began attending Hogwarts, she and her mother lived in the Netherlands where she went to a different wizarding school (not specified). But obviously she and her mom have British accents, since her mom is originally from England which Eloise has mentioned before. This is slightly important info you'll need to know.

--------

Ever since Draco won that Quidditch match, he's been in a perfectly bright mood... when I pass him in the halls, he'll be talking happily with some Slytherin friends or even people from other houses. His smile is always so genuine and chipper, his eyes glimmering as he speaks to new friends.

He hasn't been hanging around those old "friends" who were nothing short of dimwits and arseholes, and I couldn't be happier to see this. 

I've also noticed how close he and Blaise have gotten. I think Blaise to Draco is like Hermione to me... always there for him, genuine, makes him smile every day. It's wonderful.

It's now late November, the air getting crisper by the minute and the windows frosted already. Snow hasn't begun falling just yet, but it looks as if the sky is aching to sprinkle white each time we see it. 

I can't wait for the Holidays. I'm excited to see mum, and Fred, and simply have a break from schoolwork. I've been drowning in assignments... my two N.E.W.T classes are hard by themselves but my other courses seem to be piling it on before break. I don't know how the twins managed to handle it.

I'm studying in the library at the moment on a cloudy, chilly Thursday, getting ahead on an essay when someone slips into the seat across from me. I look up and see it's Draco; he's got a side smile as he looks at me and his book bag is slung over his shoulder.

"Hi there," I say quietly as we sit in the library, smiling back before returning to my textbook. "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing... I just saw you in here and wanted to stop by," he whispers, resting his chin in his palm as he looks at my textbook. "What're you studying for?"

"Transfiguration," I sigh, slumping over the book in front of me. "These N.E.W.T classes are killing me."

"Tell me about it," Draco grumbles. I look up with interest. 

"You're taking N.E.W.Ts?" I ask. "You didn't tell me that!" 

"Yeah, I made myself go for one this year," he replies with a shrug, leaning back in his chair. "Potions."

"Oh, how great!" I whisper excitedly. "Do you ever want a study buddy? I've learned plenty from Snape and I bet I could help you out if you ever need it-"

Draco cuts me off with a soft chuckle, shaking his head. "Oh, Eloise, such a scholar."

I grin as he looks back up at me. 

"Anyways..." he sighs, resting his arms on the table once more. "I heard something rather interesting today."

"Yeah? What's that?" I mumble, scanning my eyes over my parchment to see how much I've written. 

"Lewis- you know, she's on our Quidditch team- told a few friends and I during lunch that there might be a new student coming this year."

I look up, my brow furrowed. "A new student? But it's almost halfway through the year..."

"Well, apparently they'd be coming at the start of the second term," he explains further in a quiet tone, checking around to make sure no one is bothered by our muttered conversation. "You know, in January. Our age, too... but that's all Lewis knew. Her mum's closely connected to Hogwarts and all that, so she gets information sometimes..."