m a k i n g w a v e s

The following morning I wake up feeling pretty cruddy about returning to classes and resuming the mountains of homework. But I still try to look on the bright side and think about Quidditch and seeing everyone again that I didn't get to over break. 

I've got N.E.W.T Defense first thing in the morning after breakfast, so I head over along with Hermione. I still can't believe she's taking so many N.E.W.T.S this year, but then again, she's almost over-qualified to handle them. 

We get to the doorway of Snape's classroom and file in like the other students, settling into our assigned seats in the back. I'm alone at a shared desk in the back left while Hermione's with Parvati next to me, the two of us continuing to chat about upcoming assignments as we settle in and pull out our textbooks and such. 

About a minute before class officially starts, everyone seems to be ready to go at their desks, and Snape walks to the front and center of the classroom. Everyone quiets down for him to begin the lesson, but before he can say anything, he looks up at the sound of someone else walking into the classroom. 

"Ah, yes, Mr. McKay," Snape says in a low tone. I turn around to see Callum standing there with one hand in his pocket and the other clutching a single textbook. "Have a seat... that one by Miss Baker is fine."

Callum's eyes dart to mine and he grins. "Well, lucky me."

I stifle a scoff and can't help but feel puzzled that Callum is taking a N.E.W.T class in the span of six months. He confidently strolls over to the empty seat next to me, several girls' eyes following him as he walks over as they seem a bit mesmerized. I suppose the handsome new Scottish boy is going to attract some attention, but he doesn't seem to bat an eye at the girls as he settles into his seat next to me. 

Snape then begins the lesson and demands the attention back on him. I notice Callum is wearing a brand new Slytherin sweater vest under his Slytherin robes, giving him the full Hogwarts look as he's seated beside me. 

He subtly leans over but keeps his eyes at the front and whispers, "how do I look in my Slytherin house pride?"

I smile, replying quietly, "great. But Callum... a N.E.W.T class?"

"I want to be an Auror..." he whispers as we both fix our eyes to Snape writing on the chalkboard at the front, "...so I thought squeezing in an advanced Defense class before I graduate wouldn't hurt." 

"I admire the effort," I whisper back. "Snape can be a killer."

"You think I haven't found that out yet?" he mutters back. "He's the Head of My House... meeting him alone was so frightening I almost pissed myself."

I cover my mouth to stop a laugh from escaping as we're both staring at the front, my eyes catching Callum's grin out of the corner of my sight. 

"I'm not surprised to see you here, Eloise," Callum whispers. "I mean, considering the fact that you've got to be one of the perfect students I've known."

I roll my eyes, smiling slightly. "Don't tell me that's all you noticed about me when we went to school together..."

"No, no, of course not," Callum quickly whispers back. "But it sure wasn't an obscure fact now, was it?"

I look over at him and see him looking at me with an amused smirk, at which I shake my head grinning and return my gaze to the front. I glance over at Hermione next to me and see her staring at Callum and I for a flash of a moment with this almost slightly concerned look on her face, with a hint of skepticism, before she quickly whips her head back to the front at the sight of me seeing her. I don't think much of it though, and instead focus up on Snape's lesson.