p r e p a r i n g

"Professor Baker," Callum says. "It's got a nice ring to it, I must admit."

He and I are sitting in the clocktower courtyard exactly one week after the Friday I taught in Slughorn's potions class. The sunshine is streaming down upon the grounds, giving the late afternoon a cheerful feeling as the crisp, late January air nipping at our noses. It's only two days until the first of February... time really flies.

~ I mention this courtyard quite a few times, so in case you'd like to know what I'm referring to, here it is! <3

Callum and I haven't gotten to visit for a week or so because he's been so busy, in between getting up to speed with classes and the plenty of new friends he's made

"You think so, huh?" I say with a smile.

"Totally. I think you're onto something here, Eloise..." he replies, leaning back onto his hands as he looks up at the blue sky, "I mean, from what I'm hearing, it sounds like you this is something you should be looking into."

"I've been thinking about it quite a bit since my friends brought the idea up," I reply. "And, I think... I think they may be right. Being a Professor just... sounds right to me."

"Go for it," he replies promptly, sitting up and turning his head to grin at me. "If you think it's something you'd enjoy, go for it."

I smile and look down at my hands, feeling a bit of excited jitters at the thought of a career I'm becoming more and more passionate about. Callum continues next to me.

"Besides, you'd be brilliant," he adds, nudging me slightly. "Have you any idea where you'd want to teach, exactly?"

"I'm not sure," I sigh, glancing up at the fluffy clouds above us and listening to the faint chatter of students scattered about the courtyard around us. "I just know that it's something I really think would make me happy. Something I could be good at."

"I agree," Callum says, leaning forward so his elbows are resting on his knees and he's looking right at me with a smile. "It's great that you're already seem set on a career..."

"You too!" I add in a chipper tone. "I think it's brilliant that you want to be an Auror, Callum. Super cool."

He grins, nodding. "I suppose it is. Hopefully I can get the grades... the fact that I'm starting to dread Snape's N.E.W.T Defense class every day is probably not the best sign, but whatever."

I laugh and shake my head as he chuckles, still looking at me as we sit side by side. Right after we share a laugh, I look up to see a blonde Hufflepuff girl from our year walk up so she's positioned a few paces in front of us, her eyes fixed at Callum next to me. She gulps and grips a textbook to her chest, looking a bit mesmerized before she speaks up.

"H-hi, Callum," she breathes, gluing her eyes to the boy still staring at me. She looks as if she's in a dream state, clearly swooning over Callum but trying to keep her cool.