Kai Parker Fluff/Angst - Needed You

Word Count- 2,585

Summary- Y/N had a bad day, and she needed Kai, but he wasn't there for her, and she ends up hearing something she didn't want to. She ends up distancing herself from Kai, and he tries to find out what he did and win her back.

Y/N got out of her car and moped up the steps to her and Kai's house. She had a horrible day. Finals are coming up, and her teachers have been nailing her about getting her work in. She just wanted to lay down and cuddle with her boyfriend, Kai. They had been dating for about 6 months now, and every day felt like the first. Everything had gone by so fast. One thing led to another, and they bought their own house together. Y/N set her keys on the tray by the front door and slipped her shoes off.

"Kai?" She called out but got no response. "Kai?" She called out again. She grabbed her phone from her back pocket and clicked Kai's contact. He picked up after the third ring. "Kai? Where are you?" She asked while walking upstairs to their bedroom.

"Hey, babe. Uh just went out to grab some things. Damon needs my help with something," He said, sounding uncertain.

"Um, okay. Can you come home soon? I-"

"I gotta go, baby. I'll be home later tonight. I love you."

"Wait-" She went to say something, but he hung up. Well, that was weird, she thought to herself. She shrugged it off and changed into one of Kai's hoodies, not bothering to put on pants. She threw her hair up into a messy bun and walked back downstairs to get some food. She grabbed her leftovers from The Grill from last night and waited for it to heat up in the microwave. She grabbed it and water and walked to the living room. She sat on the couch and turned on New Girl while she ate.

About an hour and a half later, she checked her phone, but there were no new texts. She went to Kai's contact and texted, 'Hey, where are you? Can you come home soon?'.

It had been an hour, and Kai hadn't texted her back. She was about to call him when she got a call from Damon. She pressed answer and then put the phone up to her ear.

"Damon?" She asked, but there was nothing. "Hello?" She asked again, but there was still nothing. She was about to hang up when she heard Kai's voice. She put two and two together. Damon had butt-dialed her. She listened to the conversation on the other end of the phone.

"I love her, but I just need some space once in a while. She's all over me." She heard Kai say.

"Yeah, but she's your girlfriend. If you hurt her, I will hurt you." She heard Damon say.

"I know, but don't you ever get annoyed with Elena? Doesn't she ever smother you, or is that just Y/N?" Kai asked Damon. Damon stayed silent, but you knew he had a smirk on his face. "That's what I thought," Kai said while laughing. "Like she's texted me a billion times and asked for me to come home," Kai said with amusement laced in his voice.

"You just have to tough it out, man," Damon said. Y/N had enough. She hung up the phone and stared blankly at the TV. Her breathing picked up, and tears filled her eyes. She got up, washed her dishes, and ran upstairs to her bedroom. She threw Kai's hoodie off her body and put on an over-sized shirt from her closet. She crawled into her bed and cried herself to sleep.

Kai got home an hour later. He had started to get worried something had happened to Y/N because of all the texts, and he tried to call and text her that he was coming home, but he got no response. He set his stuff down and went upstairs to their room. He slowly opened the door and saw Y/N sleeping while curled into a ball. He saw his hoodie on the floor and wondered what had happened because it wasn't there this morning. He went into the closet and changed into just sweatpants and walked to his side of the bed, slowly pulling up the devout and climbing in. He turned on the lamp and turned on his side to face her. He saw her eyes were red and puffy, and her pillow looked like it had been wet with tears. He felt a pang in his heart. He knew she had cried herself to sleep, and he hadn't been there for her. He brushed a strand of hair out of her face before leaning in and whispering her name softly against her forehead to try and wake her. She stirred in her sleep and blinked a few times before opening her eyes tiredly.