Chapter 1: I think he'll shoot you

A/N: Hi, thanks for clicking on my story! I always loved a good slow and interesting fanfic and I think this one fits in both categories. I have spent countless hours in here reading such things and so I thought to finally write one myself. I have really worked hard on this one and in the beginning I was scared to upload it but now it just felt like the right time to do so. I really hope you enjoy it and continue on to the next chapter, but I have to tell you that the first few chapter might be a little confusing but I promise it will pay off. Thank you anyway.

...

New York, a dream came true to you five months ago when you moved to the big city from Boston for collage. You always found the city so fascinating and full of mysteries and you couldn't wait to see it up close for the first time. You had been in love with New York for many years now and it was finally your chance to live and explore this gorgeous city. Besides you had got in to one of the best colleges in there and you were not going to miss this chance for the world. Last year though, when the whole Alien Invasion situation occurred you started to question your choice very hard, the whole thing scared you to the bone and made you think that it wouldn't be so wise or safe for you to move in there after all. But then again you had no interest in staying home in Boston with your drunk father and live a pity life like him. You were goin to live your dream, no matter what. Besides the Avengers were going to be there to protect the city anyway.

Well to be exact, the Avengers were a totally different situation. After the Invention things got so much worse in New York, Tony Stark wasn't enough anymore so the rest of the team joined him in the tower, along with some extras. Of course the thought of having even the sliest chance of meeting them and see them live in action was so exciting. Thoughts like that made you more and more eager to live there as soon as you could.

Things though were not so dreamy after all; once you got there you had indeed managed to find a job as a photographer and a local magazine, which was quite the satisfaction since you loved photography and the money was actually good but, with little to no experience in apartment shit you ended up paying extremely high rent for and extremely low-quality apartment but for now it was all you got, just for now. With the hours of studying and the working you sadly had no time for making friends either, you did talk to some people from the University but you never had time to really hung out with them. Some days you would walk with them home, but that was just it.

One of those days, one beautiful and oddly normal day, you were walking home with some of those kids. You were all walking and joking around and for a moment you felt like everything was too normal, if that was even a thing. You didn't like that feeling, whenever you had that feeling something bad was about to happen, and that feeling sadly never failed you. You were right anyway because not a minute after you had that thought you all heard a loud gunshot right around the corner. The others run with their hands covering their heads and some of the girls screaming in terror, they hid behind some cars but you stayed still, for some reason you couldn't move, you were thinking about it but your legs just wouldn't follow. There were so many people around you yelling, you could hear all of their voices very loud and clear and their thoughts even louder and clearer. Your head started aching so much and at this moment you prayed for a miracle.

A minute or so later there was a second gunshot and the panic continued, now louder and of course the headache didn't stop. You looked at the sky with your lastly hope that someone would come flying to save the day and you wouldn't have to do something you didn't want to do at all; you would have to use your powers, you didn't like when you had to do that in front of other people. You had indeed very good control over them but you still didn't want to use them that often, you were not a superhero.